Not Getting WAN IP

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Volaris

Not Getting WAN IP

Post by Volaris »

I have a Linksys WRT400N with 1.7 (although this issue has been present as long as I can remember even with Comcast back in the USA [currently out of the country]).

If the power randomly cuts or power cord is disconnected, when power returns the router won't get a WAN IP. (in the Overview page, the entire WAN section is blank apart from the MAC address line). This means there's no Internet access. Unplugging to restart doesn't fix it either. The only solution I've found is to login into Gargoyle and go into Reboot. That fixes it every time.

Is there a fix to this, or a setting I can fix via WinSCP to prevent this issue? So far the only workaround that seems to work is having Ping Watchdog issue restarts when ping doesn't work, but because the fixed wireless broadband connection isn't the best, it results in more restarts than needed.

Thanks.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

ispyisail

Re: Not Getting WAN IP

Post by ispyisail »

UPS?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

ispyisail wrote:UPS?
Installing a different firmware would be cheaper.

I guess I was just wondering what the difference was between a "reboot" via Gargoyle GUI and a unplug/loss of power was to cause this only in the latter situation.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Volaris wrote:
ispyisail wrote:UPS?
Installing a different firmware would be cheaper.

I guess I was just wondering what the difference was between a "reboot" via Gargoyle GUI and a unplug/loss of power was to cause this only in the latter situation.
I don't think any electronic devices likes poor power supply

As a rule Gargoyle is stable (If you don't play with the config too much)

see

up-time
http://coricelesti.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5276

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

No doubt about it!

At home in the USA I have the same router model with Gargoyle and it runs many months nonstop without a single hiccup. By far the most rock solid firmware I've used on any router (at least compared to stock, Tomato, or DDWRT). QoS is flawless, too. I could never get IP sharing QoS to work reliably on the other firmwares.

It's just that I'm leaving this router with family in Mexico and I'm trying to make sure I leave it fool proof in case the power goes out (not that it's unstable or anything, but even in the USA it goes out at least once or twice a year) or they disconnect it to move it, etc. Every time it gets disconnected, it loses the WAN IP until someone logs in to Reboot it via Gargoyle.

For now I'm going to downgrade it because the Gargoyle firmware for 1.7 doubled in size and I just got a "no space left on device" error while installing DNScrypt.