static ip not working for iphone

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

static ip not working for iphone

Post by sticky »

Not sure whether this is a bug but I cannot set a static ip for my iphone. It has an unusual MAC address starting with F8. It appears in the connected hosts list OK, just can't make the static ip stick.
S

Re: static ip not working for iphone

Post by sticky »

Looks like its something to do with the MAC address. I can't save any MAC address starting with F8. Could be the memory space for the first octet is set too small.
S

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the iphone :) Mine works fine, and really it shouldn't even really know or care.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Static IPs seem to work fine for me... not exactly sure what could be going on here.

I don't own an iPhone, so I don't know how it is configured, but maybe it's assigned a static IP internally, and is ignoring DHCP? That would explain the symptoms (in which case it's a matter of how the iPhone is configured, not an issue with Gargoyle)

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Eric,
I can confirm that that this is a problem and not related to iphones. Any static IP address you enter which has a MAC address that begins with F8 seems to get forgotten by the interface. After you make an entry navigate off of the DHCP screen, flush your browser cache and return to the DHCP screen. Your entry should be gone.

I was looking into this myself some but was having trouble finding out which config file this was stored in by the interface. Can you help me out?

pbix
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ah.. sorry at first I thought you meant the device just wasn't getting the static ip, not that you couldn't save it.

That is, indeed, my fault. I just fixed it in the source repository, and it will be fixed in the next release.

Post by sticky »

many thanks.
S