[Close and Apply Changes] Doesn't Save/Apply

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

vask

[Close and Apply Changes] Doesn't Save/Apply

Post by vask »

If you edit a rule the [Close and Apply Changes] doesn't really do anything on gargoyle 1.1.6. Changes are NOT saved ( I don't think applied either ) until you click the save button from the [Firewall] >> [Restrictions] page.

Suggestion:
Gargoyle would have more flexibility if [restriction_edit_rule.sh] did not have to return to a previous window to Save/Apply any changes...
( It should be able to be a standalone page. )

More Info:
I need to be able to see the following simultaneously when black listing someone:
- IPs and their matching MACs (currently possible only from hosts.sh)
- current blacklisted MACs (currently only possible from restriction_edit_rule.sh)

Problem is unless I have restriction.sh and hosts.sh and the restriction_edit_rule.sh pop-up in separate tabs/windows open on my browser and they are arranged nicely on my browser I can not see and EDIT all this information simultaneously.

If I could have restriction_edit_rule.sh as a pop-up on top of ANY page in the gargoyle web-if (ie) hosts.sh) I see this as more acceptable.

To see exactly what I mean please download my WRT54GL .trx at:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=7&t=503

Eric
Site Admin

Re: [Close and Apply Changes] Doesn't Save/Apply

Post by Eric »

This has always been the case. It's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

The reason for this is that it takes time to save the changes since the firewall has to be restarted. Allowing changes to be edited without saving until all desired changes have been made allows you to configure a large number of rules without having to wait in between specifying one. I'll grant you it's a tradeoff, but this is a very deliberate design decision.

I understand your position, in wanting to adapt Gargoyle for monitoring the large number of guests at your hostel, but you need to understand that this is not a typical use case, and I'm not necessarily going to spend a lot of time making changes to suit this situation. You're more than welcome to modify the source, and I'm happy to answer questions about how things work, but you are going to need to do some serious coding to get things how you want.

My suggestion to do what you want: Don't try to tie things in to the restriction rules. Those rules can be complex, where here you only want to block individual ips. That means you can fairly easily make a new chain and create some scripts to insert/remove these single ip rules without restarting the firewall. That's faster and eliminates the problem of firewall restart I mention above. It does mean you're going to need to do some serious hacking to put everything together though. I also recommend that instead of trying to use frames to see everything together on your screen, you create a new page, that has what you want. Instead of trying to force things together that weren't meant to go together, and won't work well together build a new page from the bottom up with what you want. At least, that's what I would do if I were trying to adjust Gargoyle to solve your problem.