Help Needed + Question

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

northernwarrior

Help Needed + Question

Post by northernwarrior »

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a router from this site. ( TL-WR1043ND V1.9 ) and I am running this firmware:

Device Name:
Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:
Device Configuration:
Gateway
Memory Usage:
14.1MB / 28.8MB (48.9%)
Connections:
177/4096
CPU Load Averages:
0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00 (1/5/15 minutes)

I haven't done anything to this router since I got it about a year ago except put static ips so I could group devices for each child so I could put time limits on. That works great. I haven't attempted QOS yet as it looks confusing.

Question:
1. Should I upgrade my firmware? I have noticed I need to reset router alot more these days as the connection crawls at times. Would upgrading help with this issue?

2. I'd like to get hardwired upstairs in home. Router currently is in closet on main floor. Most of my slots are filled. Is there a way to take 1 wire from router upstairs and branch off into 4 additional wires? Would I need another router upstairs? If so, could this just be a cheapy? How would I go about setting this up for my needs?

Bottom Line I would like each room to have the ability to have hard wired connection, however still maintain Gargoyle as my software choice.

Help :-) I am afraid to upgrade firmware as this is the hub of my internet and if I screw this up - my family would not be happy with me.

Northernwarrior

northernwarrior

Re: Help Needed + Question

Anyone ?

At least an answer to :

1. Should I upgrade the firmware ? And if so, which one should I use?

I have ver. 1.9 of the TP

northernwarrior

Will an upgrade in firmware make my router a little more stable ?
What should I do prior to updating?
Please someone help here.

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

northernwarrior wrote:Will an upgrade in firmware make my router a little more stable ?
What should I do prior to updating?
only you will know, I dont see why and upgrade will solve your issues, but in networking testing is the best answer.
What should I do prior to updating in theory nothing, but is wise always to factory default before any, but defaulting will lose your settings.
about Is there a way to take 1 wire from router upstairs and branch off into 4 additional wires
are you planning adding a switch, if so yes

northernwarrior

Thank You.

I'm not sure if I should risk screwing something up. If the router goes down my wife and kids will be a tad upset lol.

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

I think you should try new versions of Gargoyle Router firmware. Althrough I heard about some problems with WiFi stability on newest versions with your router, as far as I know they have been fixed in latest releases (You should look in Contribute section of forums for some ispyisail builds, which features latest fixes). You can always go back to 1.4.7 version, if new one gives you problems. Just backup settings before upgrading (Don't try to preserve them), so you can restore them.

About second question as danymarc already answered you need switch to connect 4 devices (althrough router would work too). It's possible to connect two devices using one UTP cable, but not 4.