Remote Filesystems Problems

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

djspondee

Remote Filesystems Problems

Post by djspondee »

I've been using OpenWRT (on MR3201) for a little while, using the NFS packages for remote filesystem (Router as a client) with no problems.

I was keen to try out Gargoyle (which is great by the way) and I was keen to get remote filesystems working also.

I have gargoyle running successfully, with routing, dns resolution, remote admin all running correctly.

However I have had some difficulty running NFS (and SSHFS), diagnostics thus far:
- Installed kmod-nfs (+dependencies), nfs-utils, sshfs (+dependencies)
- I've verified that remote filesystem server is running correctly (other NFS and SSHFS clients connect and operate correctly).
- The Gargoyle Router succesfully can connect to the target remote filesystem server, over ssh et al
- During NFS establishment gargoyle router sends normal NFS connection establishment, regular rpc calls, and then begins to send null requests (based on wireshark capture)
- During SSHFS establishment gargoyle router successfully authenticates and then immediately drops the connection (normal ssh works fine)

My hypothesis is that I will need to change the gargoyle router configuration?

Any ideas?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Remote Filesystems Problems

Post by Eric »

The only thing that occurs to me off the top of my head is to ask whether you either used insmod to load the new kernel modules or rebooted the router (at which point they should be loaded automatically) before trying to connect. If you didn't insmod the new modules or reboot, you'll have problems because the new modules won't be loaded.

If I get some time this weekend, I'll see if I can replicate the error you're seeing, and try to figure out what's going on.

djspondee

Post by djspondee »

Good suggestion, but I have already rebooted the router after module installation.

The modules load successfully and seem to function correctly, until I hit the aforementioned problems.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I just tested, and I see exactly the same behavior as you report. However, I also tested with vanilla Openwrt Kamikaze 8.09, and I see the same thing there as with Gargoyle. Perhaps this is an issue that is specific to the new 8.09 release (which is what Gargoyle is now based on)?

You say your system was working fine before you tried Gargoyle. What version of OpenWrt were you running? If you built from trunk, what svn version did you checkout?