TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 - slowing wifi

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

david.jirovec

TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 - slowing wifi

Post by david.jirovec »

Sometimes internet connection over wifi becomes very slow on my TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1. Wired connection runs on full speed (16/2 mbps), while wireless lowest wireless speed I have measured was 2/0.2 mbps.

Restart fixes this issue and wireless runs at full speed for some time. I had same problem with OpenWRT. For some time it seemed this issue is fixed in Gargoyle, but now it happened there too.

I am using version 1.6.0.

I have read it is some Atheros related problem, is it true?

I really liked OpenWRT and I like Gargoyle even more for its QoS, but I hate to spend time trying to fix random issues like this.

If it is problem related to hardware of this router, can you recommend me any other router with similar specs, but proved to run flawlessly with Gargoyle?

Or exists any router, which has as good QoS (simple settings, but great possibilities) as Gargoyle without need of flashing custom firmware? I am interested especially in Active Congestion Control.

By the way are there any plans for Active Congestion Control even for upload speed?

mycal

Re: TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 - slowing wifi

Post by mycal »

FYI I have the same problem on my V1 WR1043

It runs fine for a day or two, then wifi crawls. Rebooting the router restores it.

Running 1.5.11

Should I upgrade?

Corthalis

Post by Corthalis »

I get wifi problems all the time with any recent gargoyle releases on my wr1043nd. Ended up going back to 1.5.4 and so far it's 6 days uptime with no wifi issues.

voy1d

Post by voy1d »

Hi Cor,

You mentioned that you went back to 1.5.4

Was there anything special you needed to do for that?

newday3000

Post by newday3000 »

I've had the same issue with this router and it appears on all device types. It appears the wifi speed (visible in the UI) goes from 54Mbps down to 1-2Mbps and stays there until a reboot the router.

I have 2 identical routers with different sw and each had the same issue started at 1.5.6 and didn't have this issue until upgrading.

I have stayed current now at 1.6 and problem is still there.

This is software issue and looks like negotiated speed goes down but never negotiates up until reboot.

jrierab

Post by jrierab »

Check this post: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 446#p22794. This custom build seems to solve this problem, at least for WDR3600. May be worth to give it a try.

voy1d

Post by voy1d »

Can report that with the latest ispy build my wifi problems are resolved on a TP Link 1043nd v1.1. Three days and no issues.

david.jirovec

Post by david.jirovec »

My experiments with ispy did not go well. I did update as usual, but my router is bricked now.

Failsafe does not work, sys led never comes up.

I bought TP-Link TL-WR740N instead, I think it might suit my needs well anyway and it wont hurt too much if it gets bricked too :)

I already have one WR740N, which works well, but it is old revision with Broadcomm. The new one is the most recent revision with Atheros, so I'm little worried it might have same issues as WR1043N had. Will see.