Keeping Ping Low

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AlecR

Keeping Ping Low

Post by AlecR »

Hi,

How can I keep the ping low (30ms or below which is the ping I get when the line is idle) when I download? I don't mind the download being throttled. This is downloading and keeping the ping low on a single device.

Thanks!

pbix
Developer

Re: Keeping Ping Low

Post by pbix »

The ping times you can achieve depend on the speed of your uplink and downlink and the latency of the link. I would estimate you would need not less than 2Mbps up and down to achieve such a number if you have a typical land line connection. For satellite connections pings less than 300ms are unusual.

Once you have the required link speed then QoS can make sure that your downloads do not extend them. QoS will achieve minimum ping times for you if properly configured.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

AlecR

Post by AlecR »

Thanks for the response. So QOS will keep the ping low on a single ssvoce whilst downloading on that same device?

I need some help setting it up if you don't mind? To keep it low on one device with only this device connected, do I setup QOS for that device's IP?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Yes QoS can keep the ping low on a single device but you will have to work on your own to learn about it and study how it works.

Please read the Wiki http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos

When you have read this then enable the default QoS on your router and post specific examples of any problems including screenshots showing relevant configuration settings and data displays from your router while the problem is happening.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

AlecR

Post by AlecR »

Downloading file (only one PC (this one) turned on):

Ping time whilst downloading:

This is too high and the jitter is too high, I need this to be 30ms with no jitter (like it is when no downloads are taking place).

Here are my QOS rules:

And my QOS Service Classes:

I've set Ping Target to 15ms in the ACC to keep the ping low, but as shown above, it doesn't seem to be helping:

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

As I stated previously, the ping you can achieve is dictated by your upload and download speed. What are these speeds? For the ACC do not manually enter a ping time, what ping limit does ACC automatically calculate? That one is close to what your link can do as ACC directly measures your ping entitlement during initialization.

Also please post the ACC status section I want to see what it says there. Depending on what your upload speed is it may be possible to improve your ping times a little further. Also post your QoS upload page section so I can see the class loads.

Now all that being said you should understand that you cannot have jitter like an unloaded link. Your ping times also will be longer with a loaded link that with an unloaded link. A loaded link cannot perform like an unloaded link. It is theoretically impossible and we should not go any further in the discussion unless you can accept that fact.

However, you will see if you turn off QoS that both jitter and ping times could dramatically increase. So the value of QoS is lower ping times and jitter under load than without it. Also QoS will make sure the bandwidth is allocated according to the rules and not in unexplainable ways.

Finally for what application do you want to have low and stable ping times? We need to create a rule to classify that traffic.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

AlecR

Post by AlecR »

DS sync speed: 6210Kbps, giving a download speed of about 5.8Mbps.
US sync speed: 1100Kbps, giving an upload speed or about 1Mbps.

AlecR

Post by AlecR »

zunixaani

Post by zunixaani »

I put it in but i dont know if it works. It didnt brick my router. I tried tailoring my QoS rules from the web gui to this guide but I dont think it works as well as implementing it straight into the iptables config.

So i guess no one knows how to merge this idea into iptables?

We provide fast success in Testking cisco course dumps exam and Testking ceh course by using our Tabor College high quality prep resources. We offer up-to-dated and Southwestern College dumps with definite guarantee of network+ training success