Gargoyle, Now With Wireless Bridging!

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Gargoyle, Now With Wireless Bridging!

Post by Eric »

The latest bleeding-edge firmware now allows wireless bridging. Both client bridge mode and WDS are supported on both broadcom and atheros devices. That's right, that isn't a typo: client bridging works on atheros devices just like in DD-WRT. You're welcome.

You can now configure bridging in the connection/basic section of Gargoyle. There's a new panel at the top that lets you select whether you're configuring a router or a bridge, and displays the proper controls. Here's a screenshot of the controls, when configuring a client bridge:

When the wireless bridge is active, several controls are unavailable -- it doesn't make sense to configure dhcp, port forwarding, access restrictictions or quotas when the device is just a bridge, so these sections disappear in bridge mode and re-appear if you configure the device as a router. The bandwidth monitor will monitor the LAN instead of the WAN in bridge mode, and QoS will likewise apply to the LAN instead of the WAN.

As always, please report any issues/comments/suggestions to the forum or to me directly via the contact page, so that I can address any problems as soon as possible.

iw3srd

Re: Gargoyle, Now With Wireless Bridging!

Post by iw3srd »

Very good work !! :D

I have been able to try the firewall for the limitation of band it works to the perfection.

have not succeeded in making to work the wpa there and some configuration to be done?

thank you four your great work

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Can you elaborate on the configuration for which WPA isn't working? Please include the model of router you have and all the settings you have selected in the connection/basic section.

Or are you referring to WPA Enterprise instead of WPA Personal/PSK? WPA Enterprise still isn't implemented for client mode (or client bridge mode), but I haven't forgotten about your earlier request -- It'll get there eventually ;-)

iw3srd

Post by iw3srd »

My router is FONERA +

I have set a bridge-mode and set encryption = wpa psk on web interface.
I applay and reboot the router but encryption come back to none.

If I manual edit file /etc/config/wireless by ssh, in web interface i see encription = psk, but router not associate with AP.

Thanks a lot

Iw3srd

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Hmmm... I'm having trouble replicating the problem. Are you sure that the AP is using WPA and not WPA2? Have you tried trying to connect with WPA2? Some commercial routers may just list "wpa" and "wep" options, but the wpa may actually be wpa2.

Also, if you're using WDS and not client bridge, and the access point isn't an atheros based router too, it won't work. WDS only works between routers with the same wireless chip.

iw3srd

Post by iw3srd »

OK now it work. :mrgreen:

my AP (linksys) list only wpa but in reality is WPA2. I tried with wpa2 and now fonera associated width AP.

I wanted to know if you had intention to also implement the radius autenticator in bridge-client mode ?

compliments for the good job

IW3SRD

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Regarding RADIUS authentication with bridging/client: maybe. It isn't clear in the OpenWrt documentation whether this is supported by OpenWrt. I think it is, but I'm not sure. If this feature is supported by OpenWrt, I'll add the feature to Gargoyle, but if not, this feature doesn't have a high enough priority to implement completely from scratch.

iw3srd

Post by iw3srd »

Thanks.

I report this:

In bridge mode isn't possible acces on web interface and ssh from wireless

it would be beautiful if it were possible to do a site-survey for scan wireless network
and than to know what clients are connected.

thanks
Bye IW3SRD

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Thanks for letting me know about the issue. You and another user reported this problem almost simultaneously. It should now be fixed in the latest bleeding-edge firmware.

You can already see what wireless clients are connected. Go to status/connected hosts. If an AP is active, you should be able to see information on all wireless hosts connected to that AP.

bardu

Post by bardu »

Hello.
I have tested wireless bridge with Gargayole 1.1.2 on my wrt54gl. It's really nice & easy (very intuitive) to configure (compared to DD-WRT, and X-WRT), a few clicks and you`r done.
However the signal strength reported by the site survey is very inaccurate (20% instead of 12% reported by running iwconfig command via ssh).
Also it would be very useful to add a way to monitor the signal strength (like a colored bar with the corresponding XX% ) of the selected ap in "real-time" (let's say 3 second delay), to give the end user the possibility to fine tune directional antenna's in order to gain maximum signal.
Best regards.