TPlink WR1043nd v1.8

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rednekcowboy

TPlink WR1043nd v1.8

Post by rednekcowboy »

Hey all,

Someone on another forum recommend that I check this out. I've been doing a lot of reading but am confused on some parts.

I've read up on the wro1043nd and found a couple of threads moving from dd-wrt to gargoyle but I couldn't find any with my specific hardware revision. This makes me nervous because on open-wrt it says something about needing to install a bootloader.

I'm wondering what the process is for my specific model and how to go about making the switch....

rednekcowboy

Re: TPlink WR1043nd v1.8

Post by rednekcowboy »

Anyone?

I did a little more reading and I believe the way to go is to use the reverter from the DD-WRT website and go back to stock, flash the "bootloader" (German FW) and then Gargoyle 1.5.10

I did check out the links for Gargoyle, but there is a whole page of them and I can't figure out which one to use. If someone can copy the correct link here, I would greatly appreciate it.

asantaga

Post by asantaga »

hey bud,

what are you trying to do? install Gargoyle on a wr1043ND R 1.8 right?
One thing Ive found out is that WIFI drivers in the latest version of openwrt (Attitude Adjustment) dont work well with the V1.8 of this router.. (ie mine and yours). The workaround is not to use the AA version of openwrt but use the backfire based version.. SNAG.. if you try and use Backfire on a router with the latest uBoot (part of the latest firmware) then you'll brick your router..

So here's the approach I took
1. .Download files
Old German version of the tp link firmware, search using google to find a link.
wr1043nv1_de_3_9_17_up_boot(100331).bin
Latest OpenWRT (not trunk) for the router- factory version -, today this is
http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a ... actory.bin :
Download Gargoyle 1.5.6 for this router, this uses Backfire instead of AA
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... pgrade.bin

2. Install the German Firmware first
3. After this login, use your best guestimates and find the firmware upgrade bit (its easy) and flash the latest openWRT AA flash
3. putty/ssh to the router and check the boot was downgraded by the german firmware.
from a shell issue grep -a U-Boot /dev/mtd0ro
you should get
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Nov 17 2009 - 11:56:26)
U-Boot

4. If this is ok, then now using openwrt install the Gargoyle 1.5.6 package using the firmware upgrade method.
5. Reboot and hopefully all is working

Notes
- For me , i couldnt log in first time, I had to put the router into Failsave mode (power on holding QSS button) and then you can telnet to the route 192.168.1.1. , simply issue $ firstboot and the password is set to "password"
- Wireless is still a little flaky.. Im testing it today.. so far so good but... its disconnected a few times...
- If wireless is a key issue then Id probably stick with the tp link stock firmware, its rock solid.

hope this helps!

asantaga

Post by asantaga »

Still unstable, however I've moved to the very very latest BreakingBarrier openwrt version and it appears to work ok..

so as soon as gargoyle upgrades we'll be fine