Feature requests: port forwarding & bandwidth page

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

naovi

Feature requests: port forwarding & bandwidth page

Post by naovi »

Perhaps I can't seem to get the search function to work so I apologize if there suggestions have been suggested already...

1. Grouping IP adresses for port forwarding or eliminating IP's.
It seems to only work with one IP address.
I think being able to input a range or list of IP addresses or even "port triggering (ala DD-wrt)" type feature would be wonderful.

2. Adding "total" U/D bandwidth to total bandwidth page:
I seen the pie screenshots in the experimental firmware, so perhaps this isn't needed, but I figured to add this anyway. You have total upload and download rows, but not a summation of the two.

3. Increasing Transmit Power range on wireless:
I understand leaving it in such a low number initially to make sure no one bricks their router, but raising the range of it wouldn't hurt anyone, would it? :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading & keep up the fantastic work!!

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Feature requests: port forwarding & bandwidth page

Post by Eric »

1. This is an interesting suggestion. I will consider it.

2. This is now implemented in version 1.1.1.

3. By default Gargoyle uses the maximum transmit power the device is capable of. The range is limited to the current values because the hardware cannot transmit with a signal strength greater than the allowed range.

Jase

Post by Jase »

Eric wrote:1. This is an interesting suggestion. I will consider it.

3. By default Gargoyle uses the maximum transmit power the device is capable of. The range is limited to the current values because the hardware cannot transmit with a signal strength greater than the allowed range.
Is the Xmit power set to a range that all gargoyle devices can handle or does it cater for each device individually? e.g a linksys router might handle a higher Xmit than an asus one

I know that the Linksys-WRT54GL has a range of 0mW to 251mW of Xmit power, but can only safely handle from 0mW to 84mW without a heatsink on the chipset.

From observations i have made since switching from DD-WRT firmware to Gargoyle, the signal strength from the WRT54GL has been weaker on Gargoyle in comparison to DD-WRT. I was running it at 84mW of Xmit power.

Measurements of signal strength were taken from the exact same location on each test and on the same computer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Network setup: Linksys WRT54GL (with gargoyle firmware) + Billion 7300G Connecting via PPPoE + PPPoE passthrough enabled for IPv6!

naovi

Post by naovi »

Eric wrote:1. This is an interesting suggestion. I will consider it.

Awesome to read. Glad to see you will consider # 1.

I have to agree with Jase, and add that the default value is fine, my suggestion is to offer a larger range of transmit power, so that those who have the capabilities to increase the power are able to do so. I also have a Linksys-WRT54GL, and using Tomato and DD-wrt give a lower transmit power on default, but the range is higher in both than gargoyle.