Translations

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Cezary

Translations

Post by Cezary »

Eric, how about translations? It would be nice add a mechanism to make a different language versions.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Translations

Post by Eric »

I won't say never, but this is not a particularly high priority feature right now. There are a couple of reasons for this:

First, this is a MAJOR feature, which will take a significant amount of effort. Right now the text displayed is embedded in several different places including haserl scripts, javascript and even some C code. Tracking it all down and making it a parameter will be highly non-trivial. I have to balance the cost effectiveness of having translations, with what other features I could be working on instead (e.g. VPN support, wireless bridging support, captive portal support, etc.)

Second, I'm limited by the fact that I only speak one (non-programming) language. (Yep, I'm one of them thar unsophistercated Americans ;-) ) That means that I would need to find someone to help actually do the translations. So far, no one has been interested in helping me with writing any code for Gargoyle -- the interesting part -- let along doing any drudgery like going down a list of phrases and translating them. At the very least I think it prudent to wait until there are enough people interested in Gargoyle so that it won't be too hard to find someone who can actually translate the necessary text.

Of course, if you are interested in implementing this feature personally, I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction regarding how to start and what needs to be done.

Cezary

Post by Cezary »

I can help translate in Polish, of course. I think that this gui has great potential and many people will be use openwrt and Gargoyle, if that was also available in their language (in Poland in particular :)).

BTW: is there any todo list?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'll keep your offer in mind as I go forward with development. Thanks!

While there isn't an official "todo" list posted anywhere, there are a whole bunch of things that I want to implement. Here are some of them (not necessarily in the order they will be implemented):

1) The access restriction module I am currently working on
2) Static routes
3) Wireless scan (as you suggest in your previous forum post)
4) usb drive / network filesystem support so that more data from bandwidth monitor/webmon can be saved
5) Multiple wireless SSID support, splitting of VLAN and configuration of associated subnets/ bridging between subnets
6) Solid, well tested, universal (supports both brcm & atheros chipsets) wireless bridging
7) OpenVPN support
8) Captive portal support
9) Mesh network support (e.g. B.A.T.M.A.N.)

At some point I may also implement a "gargoyle module" interface for adding/removing large chunks of functionality for which there is a gargoyle web interface module written. Some of these features will take up substantial disk space, and it may be useful to be able to pick & choose which is currently installed.

If anyone is especially interested in any of these, or any other useful feature, I'd be happy to point them in the right direction of what is necessary and to accept contributed code into the project. All contributors will, of course, get full credit for their contributions in the "About" section.

victorhidalgo

Post by victorhidalgo »

Eric Bishop greetings, congratulations on the great work.

I am willing to help in the translation into Spanish.

when you consider it necessary.

sorry for my English, but I used a translator.

thanks for contribution to the community with
Gargoyle.

majimus

Post by majimus »

Hello Eric,

I am also interested in assisting with Spanish translations as well as code contributions (Wireless auto channel functionality is of particular interest).

I started using Gargoyle 3 days ago, but I've always wanted to contribute to an open source project.

BashfulBladder

Post by BashfulBladder »

Internationalization is being hammered out in this branch:

https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/commits/i18n

Spanish is fully present & was the test language I used for the Gargoyle UI.
Spanish.png
Spanish.png (189.77 KiB) Viewed 6990 times
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki