USB as network?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

sionghua

USB as network?

Post by sionghua »

Hi,

I am wondering if I can use the USB port as a network connection to my Android TV stick?

ericwong

Re: USB as network?

Post by ericwong »

sionghua wrote:Hi,

I am wondering if I can use the USB port as a network connection to my Android TV stick?
Without more information on what you are trying to do, I would say NO.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

sionghua

Post by sionghua »

I am trying to connect this
http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOG4.html
to the USB port of my gargoyle router's USB port for internet connectivity, wondering if it will work and will be a better connection than wifi.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

sionghua wrote:I am trying to connect this
http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOG4.html
to the USB port of my gargoyle router's USB port for internet connectivity, wondering if it will work and will be a better connection than wifi.
No, won't work for obvious reasons.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

sionghua

Post by sionghua »

I know the USB is for printer/storage etc. I am not silly. But I think there is some sort of more advance setup (plugin etc, android app etc) where network can be setup across USB.

sionghua

Post by sionghua »

I have ADSL modem where I can plug my PC to it via USB and go online.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

sionghua wrote:I have ADSL modem where I can plug my PC to it via USB and go online.
but you can't plugin your dongle into a computer to go into internet, can you? the problem is at the dongle!!

Would you be able to connect your dongle to your ADSL modem with USB and access internet? I bet you can't.
Eric Wong

sionghua

Post by sionghua »

That's why I was asking if there is any android app that can do that.

sionghua

Post by sionghua »

Is there any more knowledgeable people out there?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

sionghua wrote:That's why I was asking if there is any android app that can do that.
... this is not an Android forum if you are asking for Android app.
Plus, what you want to do cannot be done because this is a hardware limitation. Not software.

The USB port on your modem is a USB client port, whereas the USB port on Gargoyle is USB host... they are NOT the same!!.

e.g. would you be able to use USB to connect to another computer and use its hdd? You can't because it is not a USB client like a USB stick!!
Eric Wong