WR1043ND v1.9 and Gargoyle 1.5.9

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

abellemare44

WR1043ND v1.9 and Gargoyle 1.5.9

Post by abellemare44 »

Good evening everybody

I have purchased a TP-LINK WR1043ND v1.9 last week and I'm not satisfied with the stock firmware.

My old router was also a TP-LINK and it was with Gargoyle 1.5.7 and it was perfect to manage QoS because I have VOIP phone and when i was downloading with the stock firmware TP-LINK there was very bad quality when I was using the phone. After with Gargoyle everything was OK

Now I want to install Gargoyle 1.5.9 on my TP-LINK WR1043ND v1.9 and I want to know if someone has installed it and if yes, what was the path for installation?

With my old tp-link, i have done firmware upgrade and everything was OK, but after reading many comments, I don't know if I can do that with V1.9 and Gargoyle 1.5.9

Thank's

Alain

Trlsd

Re: WR1043ND v1.9 and Gargoyle 1.5.9

Post by Trlsd »

I don't know about 1.9, but I have a Tp-link WR1043ND 1.10.

Some of my results (all in repeater/bridge mode, not router):

1.4.7 - stable for me. There is some kind of Wan issue when being used as a router, but that may have been fixed.

1.5.9 - Flashed fine, but didn't connect

1.5.8 - Same result as 1.5.9

1.5.6 - Works, but I had disconnects.

1.5.5 - speeds were slow, but it works

1.5.4 - This is the one I am using now, speeds are good and have had no disconnects yet. Hopefully the usb drive works, will try it soon.

Hope this helps.

elarcangel

Post by elarcangel »

Did you try the USB on version 1.5.4?
I'm currently on 1.5.9 but performance copying to the external drive is not good and furthermore, it randomly disconnects and I have to reset the drive from web interface to recover access to it.
That is currently the only problem I'm having with 1.5.9 and 1043ND

bluearsedfly

Post by bluearsedfly »

I have a tp-link 1043nd v1.9 (first 2 digits of S/N are 12) and flashed to gargoyle 1.5.6 because I had been experiencing the well published wireless issues of the stock firmware.
So far I am extremely happy. Its only been 6 days, but I havent had to reboot yet...a record for it!!! On the official firmware I was experiencing wireless lock-up every other day.

The ping times and general speed are *slightly* worse than stock, but I will happily accept this for the stability of gargoyle.
(pinging google has gone from 38ms to 40ms; bt-wholesale speedtest is typically showing 58mb/s, whereas before it showed 64mb/s)

I went the route of flashing to the german firmware first, before flashing to 1.5.6. I also performed the 30-30-30 reset procedure on the router before beginning. Not sure if this is necessary, but I thought for a minute and half of my life, why not.

FYI: I use the wan port. This is my main router for internet to the house.

The instructions and files required (german tplink version and gargoyle 1.5.6) can be found on this forum. If you have trouble locating them, I can upload them to drop-box...

A *big* thank you to the guys that have put the time in creating gargoyle. I am a very happy and grateful user!!

elarcangel

Post by elarcangel »

Hi Bluarsedfly, is there any reason why you tried 1.5.6 instead of 1.5.4? from what I saw a cuple of posts prior to yours, 1.5.6 had random reboots while 1.5.4 don't.
I'm currently on 1.5.9 and yesterday I started having reboots on loop so I was unable to connect to the antenna and had to reset it to factory default and now is up and stable again.
My only concern is the USB drive that does not perform well on 1.5.9 on heavy uploads to it.
Did you try it on 1.5.6? how did it went?
did you enable also 40mhz and the noscan option described on this forum? I'm stock on 20mhz and therefore on 150mb tops :(

bluearsedfly

Post by bluearsedfly »

I had originally planned to go 1.5.9, but after reading some bad reports on it, I decided on the last backfire build.

I'm on 20mhz. I havent tried 40 as I dont need it. 20mhz was the default and I just went with that.

As for the usb functionality...I hadnt tried that either so thought I'd give it a shot by plugging in an old wd 120gb passport drive. It was recognized and shared to my network easily. I also tried streaming an avi file and it seemed to go well.
However, WiSpy on my mac air told me my bandwith had dropped to 8mb/s (it normally shows 130). Removing the drive didnt improve matters, so I decided to reboot the router. The first time I had done this since flashing :roll:
On reboot, my bandwith was back to 130, but the router just couldnt get a wan connection. Whats more, it was rebooting itself every 5 to 7 minutes. You can imagine my panic.

Fortunately, performing a 30-30-30 reset got everything working back as it was (everything except the wlan light now doesnt light up ???).
I think I'll just leave things as they are. I really dont need usb, 40mhz, etc. I just want rock solid stability, which I had up until I rebooted.

elarcangel

Post by elarcangel »

Thanks for confirming at least that with those extra features you also start suffering the same issues I do.
Using 40mhz seems to cause the WLAN to shut down as I saw it reported.
That's because the 40mhz method uses 2 channels and if any antenna nearby overlaps you channel with a strong signal, it tries to go back to 20mhz and that is what apparently causes the issue and reboots.
you can avoid the detection of other signals with the no scan command that requires to connect to the antenna over FTP and use these comands.
uci set wireless.radio0.noscan=1
uci commit
reboot
Using 40mhz gives you a top speed of 300 instead of 150 which is needed for safe VoIP like skype, or others.

My performance playing movies from an USB drive is also good since that is a download action from the drive but when I try to upload info to the drive is where it disconnects but doesn't affect the antenna or the overall WLAN experience but I was unable to perform a full backup to the USB drive over the WLAN since I changed to gargoyle :(
I use my USB drive to backup my devices on my own internal clowd ;)

Thanks for all your feedback.

e2000

Post by e2000 »

did you guys downgrade to official german version? or just flashed the new latest gargoyle firmware with the latest tp-link firmware? thanks

elarcangel

Post by elarcangel »

I did flash with german version prior to moving into gargoyle. I'm currently on 1.5.10 and now it's really stable even with uploads.