Limit Bandwidth of Computer

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

heather22

Limit Bandwidth of Computer

Post by heather22 »

Hi,
I have 1 final question. I would like to limit the bandwidth of one of my computers using Gargoyle 1.0.12
My connection is about 350 KB down.
I would like to set up a limit to 85 KB on this machine.

Could this be done? If so, how could I set this up?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Limit Bandwidth of Computer

Post by Eric »

What you seem to want is QoS, but only on one host. Right now you have to enable QoS on all traffic or no traffic, though different traffic can be allocated different levels of bandwidth. However, you may be able to adjust the settings so everything but that host is allocated more bandwidth by the QoS system than is available (so it's essentially unlimitted on everyone but that one IP).

Set the max upload/download limits really high (say 40000Kbit/s, which is 5Mbyte/s, since 8Kbit = 1Kbyte), and then assign traffic for the one IP you want to limit to a service class with a hard maximum of 85Kbyte*8=680Kbit/s. Assign everything else to a service class with a substantial fraction of the total (which will never be reached, so they get effectively unlimited bandwidth).

Do be aware that QoS requires a LOT of RAM/CPU power to work properly, and can slow down your network even beyond what you want if you don't have sufficient system resources. I generally wouldn't recommend using the QoS feature unless you have at least 32 MB of RAM on your router. (WRT54GL, one of the most popular devices, only has 16MB. The best 32MB router I know is the Asus 500GP ).

heather22

Post by heather22 »

Thank you very much Eric!
I understand what you explained for me to to.
It makes total sense.
I have a Linksys WRT54G-TM
It has 32MB
I was running DD-WRT on it for 1 year.
I may not be experienced as others on this forum, but I do know that Gargoyle is my favorite router firmware. The questions I asked on this forum I probably could have figured them out on my own since the interface makes things very do-able. But, I always say, "When in doubt...."
The new version of Gargoyle 1.0.13 works great and I see substantial improvement on memory resources

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

heather22 wrote:Thank you very much Eric!
I understand what you explained for me to to.
It makes total sense.
I have a Linksys WRT54G-TM
It has 32MB
I was running DD-WRT on it for 1 year.
I may not be experienced as others on this forum, but I do know that Gargoyle is my favorite router firmware. The questions I asked on this forum I probably could have figured them out on my own since the interface makes things very do-able. But, I always say, "When in doubt...."
The new version of Gargoyle 1.0.13 works great and I see substantial improvement on memory resources
I was running Tomato-RC which does allow throttling of one or more LAN side IPs, but I switched to Gargoyle as it had greater stability. :mrgreen: