Quota Allocation

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

timmynz2006

Quota Allocation

Post by timmynz2006 »

I am naïve and joining this to get help. I would deeply appreciate if you kindly suggest us how we are able to set at the router for internet /data usage quota for each laptops connected to router via wireless. As whole month data was gone within a week and it is hard to point which child use most.

Our current Router is Netgear 2200v (ISP- Optus).
main computer (Desktop) is connected with ADSL cable.
Other 3 are laptops connected with wireless.
My queries are
1/ Am I able to use current router or change to Gargoyle router with software?
2/ How can I order gargoyle router/product?
3/ Is gargoyle router and its firmware/software workable in Australia with our ISP (Optus)?
4/ Will you /Gargoyle be able to provide support for set up step and step simply as we are getting old.

Looking forward!

Tim & Heidi

pbix
Developer

Re: Quota Allocation

Post by pbix »

Hi Tim,
I looked around for any specification on a Netgear 2200V and could not find any. I suspect that this not actually the model number of the device you have. What type of link do you have? If you are using DSL and your current device is both a modem and a router then you might be able to just use it as a modem and buy a separate router to run Gargoyle. OpenWRT/Gargoyle does not generally support combination modem/routers.

Have another look for a label on the bottom that might have more information on what the model number is. Also post any information on the version you can see or even a photo of the label.

There are many routers that can run Gargoyle in this world. There is one in the Gargoyle shop you can buy preloaded or you can find others on EBay for example. You can find a list of supported devices lists on openwrt.org. Just make sure that the status column has 10.03 in it. You need at least 8MB of ram and 16MB of flash as a minimum and I suggest you look for more of both.

If you find something you are interest in just post the exact model number on this thread and I will comment.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

timmynz2006

Post by timmynz2006 »

Hi pbix

re. Quota allocation for each laptop

Many thanks for your reply. Yes it is Netgear DGN2200 (N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router DGN2200) with 4 Ethernet ports + wireless. Desperately looking for help with queries:
1/ Am I able to use current router or change to Gargoyle router with software?
2/ How can I order gargoyle router/product?
3/ Is gargoyle router and its firmware/software workable in Australia with our ISP (Optus)?
4/ Will you /Gargoyle be able to provide support for set up step and step simply as we are getting old.

Looking forward
Regards
Tim
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/po ... =12&t=4122#

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

timmynz2006 wrote: 1/ Am I able to use current router or change to Gargoyle router with software?
As I said in my previous post, NO.
timmynz2006 wrote: 2/ How can I order gargoyle router/product?
Answered in my previous post.
timmynz2006 wrote: 3/ Is gargoyle router and its firmware/software workable in Australia with our ISP (Optus)?
Yes it will work well.
timmynz2006 wrote: 4/ Will you /Gargoyle be able to provide support for set up step and step simply as we are getting old.
The support I provide is well documented in this website. I think I am older than you my friend and my patience it thin for people who will not read and study on their own. I cannot spoon feed you and do not claim that it is "step by step" or "simple". It will cost you about $80 USD and considerable effort on your part to implement a Gargoyle system which will help you maintain quotas. You must decide if it is worth the risk and cost to you or not.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

timmynz2006

Post by timmynz2006 »

Thanks. I will order the Garoyle router. Hope it would have instructions for set up. If not, I will get back to this forum.
Regards
Tim

jorgemiguel4

Post by jorgemiguel4 »

The instructions are here -> http://www.gargoyle-router.com//wiki/doku.php

Even if gargoyle is very user-friendly, it requires some network and linux knowledge from users to setup some services like QoS or Quotas. For example, a QoS with a bad configuration will do the opposite of is purpose and share bandwidth unevenly.