Using another Router as Wireless Extender

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Bendeigid

Using another Router as Wireless Extender

Post by Bendeigid »

Hello, I hope somebody can help me as I have not been able to find an answer to my problem.

I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 v1 with Gargoyle 1.5.8. This router handles the Internet connection and all wired devices connect to it as well. This router is on the first floor.

However the wireless coverage on the ground floor as quite low due to very thick walls so I thought I get a 2nd-hand TP-Link WDR3600 also with Gargoyle 1.5.8 to use as a wireless extender.

I configured the Netgear router as AP+WDS and the TP-Link as Wireless Bridge/Repeater and while I could plug-in a wired device to the TP-Link and it has access to the Internet and network, wireless devices do not seem to get a boost. I checked with inSSIDer but there is no improvement for the wireless devices with the TP-Link switched on or not.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

mimile.mimile

Re: Using another Router as Wireless Extender

Post by mimile.mimile »

Hi,

1) Same problem as i mentioned in my topic
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 9&start=10

2) Gaining IP drom DHCP took over 30s then dropped and recyled a second time, at 2 meters of Gaygoyle router 1.54 Nanostation2.
Blackerry phone and some laptop under Win Vista failed overtime.
Maybe, some bug with WDS or alike

fl89

Post by fl89 »

I tried wds with two 1043nd 1.5.8 but couldnt manage to extend wireless as well.

So my setup now is
  • 1.Router as Gateway and Wirelessmode: AP

2.Router as Wireless Bridge/Repeater and Connect via Client Bridge (not WDS) Same SSID to join and to broadcast
If you'll try the same, pls check how stable the wifi connection is.

I get disconnected 2-3 times a day for 3-4 minutes from the internet on devices connected via wifi. :x

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

This is a bug folks discovered in v1.5.8, should be fixed in v1.5.9.

Please try that.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Bendeigid

Post by Bendeigid »

Thank you for your reply. I have now flashed both devices with 1.5.9 and in addition have only used 'Connect via client bridge' & obviously 'repeater enabled'. Am I correct that it is not possible to roam seamlessly, i.e. just having one SSID for both routers?

At the moment it shows two SSIDs with varying signal strength. I thought by setting the SSID the same on both routers it would only show as one but no such luck.

Is there a way to do this?

Also another question. Both routers are configured with a channel width of 40 Mhz on channel 4 with 2nd channel above. On checking the netgear router which is the main router it shows up correctly with channel 4 + 8 but the TP-Link shows only as channel 4. Is that correct? I would have thought the TP-Link should also show up as 4 + 8.

sarahz

Post by sarahz »

I've previously setup Debian as router, now i wanna remove it, but dont know how, if i use sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 my pc works as router and if i use sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 it doesn't work as router.
what i wanna do is only allow port's of POP & SMTP through debian as router