wrt350N v1 install success

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

sodapopdima

wrt350N v1 install success

Post by sodapopdima »

I am sorry if starting a new thread is inappropriate, please merge if you feel its required, but I wanted a clean slate since I finally made progress with this and write up what I encountered thus far.

Firstly, I got an idea to go back in firmware revisions, much further than I would normally had thought to try, based on a response from the wrt150 v1.1 thread I started.

After reading here and elsewhere about wireless not being supported after a move to different Broadcom drivers, I wondered if that effected other aspects... well apparently it did.

I was able to revive the wrt350 yet again with my serial adapter, and I tried to install Gargoyle ver1.3.8 (went from linksys stock firmware to dd-wrt mini to Gargoyle) and voila it worked. Tried wireless, and that worked too.

So, I felt experimental, I grabbed 1.3.9 and upgraded. Once again success, no brick, and wireless works.

Going forward, I jumped to the latest ver1.3.14 -> BRICK
Blinking Power LED and when plugging in a cat5 the physical port is off by one from the LED activity port, just as before. So a slow upgrade from a previous version is a fail.

So a few questions, so I don't end up debricking this between ver 1.3.9 to 1.3.13 all night every step of the way. I hope one of the creators of this can answer this, even if an educated answer, should I keep going, or is there something that changed more than just the wireless driver between 1.3.9 & 1.3.10?

Any chance this will be fixed in later revisions?

If not, does this mean newer features and previous bug fixes will never be seen by these models?

If we are not to expect updates, dear owner, I really like gargoyle and say this in a nice way, can you please remove later revisions from people to be able to accidently download them, so they don't brick their devices. Most people don't know how to debrick and there is no point in keeping a non working firmware up for grabs.

iI will debrick again now and see if 1.3.10 loads, I am actually hoping that is the bricking point so I don't need to go further... I will report back my findings.

Regards,
Dima

[update]
Yep, just as expected, it bricks between ver 1.3.9 and 1.3.10 so whatever new drivers were introduced not only wipes out the wireless, but the entire bootup ability. Strange though that this didn't happen on my older wrt150n where only the wireless would stop working.

Another bug I noticed with both routers with Gargoyle, every time I apply a setting, the pop-up box always stays saying its applied, or in cases when it says its finished, but never goes away on its own, so the update is long done before the end user knows it... just thought I would throw it out there.

OK off for my final debrick and to play with Gargoyle, in its ver 1.3.9 - I hope this helps others so they know not to try later revisions.

ConteMoka

Re: wrt350N v1 install success

Post by ConteMoka »

Hi,

Thank you for this very useful thread (at least for me).

I am exactly in the same situation. I have a WRT350n v1 with DD-WRT and I am going to install gargoyle tonight.

I hope to overcome an annoying problem with Client Bridged configuration (DHCP requests are not forwarded this I must configure static IOPs on all the devices connected to the LAN ports).

I was wondering whether the latest builds (1.5.x or even 1.6.x) have the same issues with the WRT350n v1 or if I should go safe and flash the 1.3.9 (as long as this build allows for DHCP forwarding I do not need any other functionality)

Can anybody help me?

Thank you.

sodapopdima

Re: wrt350N v1 install success

Post by sodapopdima »

you can see my latest findings here:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=8&t=1236

I can probably assume gargoyle will work fine in it's kamikaze phase, before it's change to backfire+ and even in backfire there is a certain breaking point where it bricks the router.

the problem is I have X-wrt (openwrt) running perfectly fine right now (custom build bin file) and the src packages have been removed from this website, so i can't install gargoyle as a set of packages like I would like to in order to further experiment and see if an upgrade works