Should I buy the Gargoyle Gigabit Router ?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Monsieurpaquin

Should I buy the Gargoyle Gigabit Router ?

Post by Monsieurpaquin »

I was planning to buy a Netgear WNDR3700-100NAS Wireless Router N600 Dual Band GigaBit and install the Gargoyle firmware into the router.

I don't work in the computer field, so I chickened out when I saw in the installation guide in a BIG RED the warning about the possiblility to permanently disable your router.

But now that I see at the Gargoyle shop, a Gargoyle Gigabit Router already loaded with version of Gargoyle Firmware , I am very tempted to give it a try.

Is a regular guy (like me) could manage to do the set up with the instructions or do you have to be a computer wise to do it ?

Looking for feedback before I decide to order. I will appreciate any advice given. Thank you in advance, Michel

shadowrunner

Re: Should I buy the Gargoyle Gigabit Router ?

Post by shadowrunner »

As a relative newbee I would have to agree that the most anxiety comes from flashing the new firmware. If you want to avoid that I say sure pull the trigger on the one sold in the store here. The set up is pretty strait forward and the community here is pretty helpful. Heck, If I can do it anybody can. It also helps the developers of Gargoyle when you purchase a pre-flashed unit.
Erik

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

Beware!

You had best check the hardware version number of the Netgear WNDR3700 router.

I bought one and only found out afterwards it was a "V3" hardware version. The "V3" is not supported by OpenWRT and hence Gargoyle. The Netgear user interface and functionality really sucks compared to Gargoyle...
Regards, Nigel

ruriruri

Post by ruriruri »

I was once in your shoes. Then I discovered some routers are imposible to brick and easy to flash. Eg. D-Link and ASUS. Some are hard to flash. Eg. Buffalo. So I started from flashing like crazy. :)

travanx

Post by travanx »

I think its not that hard to flash the firmware if you read the instructions a few times and have them with you when doing the flash. An easy way to get the right WNDR3700 is by searching ebay for a v1 or v2 specifically. I got a v2 that way to extend my wireless. I am using gargoyle on my v1 and openwrt on my v2. Never got around to flashing the v2 since everything just works now.

But I could also see if you don't care to get into flashing, buying the preflashed router from here makes a lot of sense.

I really like Gargoyle since it was so simple to setup a USB hard drive on the router compared to openwrt and that's the main reason I am using this firmware.

And to the above I have somehow bricked 2 ASUS routers. They sit in a closet maybe one day waiting for a JTAG flash. But never bricked the many WRT54G's that I have flashed.

markstinson

Post by markstinson »

I did a ton of research before settling on the TL-WR1043-ND (with Gigabit NICs) before moving off of my WRT54GLs. If you can afford two, do it. (NewEgg has them on sale sometimes. Watch out for them.)

Then like any production environment, you flash one. Configure it. Then swap it out. After a while, then upgrade the unused one and configure it being the backup & used for the next upgrade.

Also when flashing, I prep my hardware for the "event" in case of brown outs, power surges, etc:
  1. Use a fully charged laptop plugged directly into router. It should have at least Firefox, and several different versions of the firmware in case you have to roll it back using the OpenWRT Failsafe mode - which means you'll need a TFTP client too.
  2. If the router does not naturally hang off of a UPS Battery unit, plug it into one before flashing. (Double check it's on the Battery and not surge protect side)
  3. Disconnect all network connection if possible so the laptop has exclusive access to the router. You might not want some DDOS or Ping of Death to hit your WAN port while flashing either.
There's nothing worse than some preventable external factor occuring that bricks your router. Or forgetting to have the right tools & instructions on hand to fix a problem.

mmogoingchuan

Post by mmogoingchuan »

I want to say press release is the best medium for promoting a new business or any news or products launched by a company or firm.It is a great medium of getting the traffic on

a website.If i forget some points about press release please share your views.