Newbee seeking advice.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

shadowrunner

Newbee seeking advice.

Post by shadowrunner »

First off Thank you to all those involved in the development of this wonderful firmware. I have been using Gargoyle on a wndr3700 v1 for roughly 2 years now with not a single hitch. My use was simple though QOS and tailored restrictions for my 3 daughters. They mainly accesed internet via cat6 (house pre-wired) however now that they are a little older and have various wireless devices, that is their preferred way to access internet as well as network. The wndr3700 resides in a smart box in the garage. the signal is excellent throughout the home except one daughters bedroom that is located at exact opposite corner of house. I ordered a refurbished wndr3800. My plan is to disable the radio's on the wndr3700 and just use it as a router in the garage and use the 3800 for wireless in a central spot inside the home. I'm not sure how to set this up. Will the 3700 acting as router still control all QOS and bandwith distribution services while the 3800 controls wireless restrictions? Can this be set up without using a new subnet so that they can all access the media server. Also of the two routers are any of them more suited for their intended purpose than the other (router vs wireless access point)? I'm pretty confused and will appreciate any advice given. Thank you in advance, Erik.

esoxhntr

Re: Newbee seeking advice.

Post by esoxhntr »

http://www.geektonic.com/2007/06/how-to ... point.html

for what you want to do:

on router 2, disable DHCP, assign it an IP within router 1s subnet, out of its DHCP range and something unique. ie. if router one uses 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 and it's allowable DHCP range is 192.168.1.100-200 and it's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then assign router 2 192.168.1.2

connect (wired) router 1 to router 2 via LAN ports on both.

setup wireless security on router 2 to mimic what you had on router 1

disable wireless on router 1.

router 1 continues to handle the IP assignment (DHCP and static) and continues to handle all the QOS rules. router 2 is now basically a fancy wired & wireless switch

shadowrunner

Post by shadowrunner »

YESSS!!! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my query! You Rock!
Erik

shadowrunner

Post by shadowrunner »

Well it all worked perfectly.. for about 3 hours, then both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz radios failed when i went to mount unit on a wall. Rebooted radios worked again. I shrugged went to mount it and radios would fail. I tested it and basically the second router went from horizontal to vertical signal would spike of the chart then radios died. Must have been a short in the box somewhere. Now in RMA process with NewEgg..