ACC: Cannot ping Gateway

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Nevuor

ACC: Cannot ping Gateway

Post by Nevuor »

Hello,

I'm new to Gargoyle and I'm very happy with it!
I'm using the stable image 1.4.7 on a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with QoS enabled for upload and download, both with their default configurations.

Everything is working fine except the ACC:
The status stays always at CHECK even if I start a download with maximum speed. I guess the problem is that my ISP doesn't allow me to ping the WAN Gateway. If I manually do a ping in console, I get:

Code: Select all

$ ping WAN_GATEWAY_IP
PING WAN_GATEWAY_IP (WAN_GATEWAY_IP) 56(84) bytes of data.
From WAN_GATEWAY_IP icmp_seq=3 Packet filtered
From WAN_GATEWAY_IP icmp_seq=7 Packet filtered
From WAN_GATEWAY_IP icmp_seq=11 Packet filtered
^C
--- WAN_GATEWAY_IP ping statistics ---
13 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 12052ms
The router is connected to an ADSL2+ Modem (D-Link DSL-321B/DE) in bridge mode. Is it normal that the Gatway IP is always the same whether I reconnect to obtain a new WAN IP?

Can I ping something else? Like one of the two DNS server listed on the status page? Or would it help to modify the source to not use ICMP for determing the ping, is there an alternative at all?

Update:
If I ssh into the router and ping the WAN Gateway, the ping command hangs and doesn't output anything. Is it possible the the router can no longer determine the current Gateway and displays an old one? How does the router actually get the Gateway IP?

Thank you!

pbix
Developer

Re: ACC: Cannot ping Gateway

Post by pbix »

If you would look around a bit especially at the ACC section you can set that you can set an alternate ping target. Pike something else on you ISPs LAN like the DNS server or its DHCP server it it has one.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Nevuor

Re: ACC: Cannot ping Gateway

Post by Nevuor »

Okay, then I will use the DNS server.
I knew that I can choose the target but wasn't sure what I'm allowed to ping.

Thank you!