Hardware Issue - NETGEAR WNDR3700v2

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pmerrill

Hardware Issue - NETGEAR WNDR3700v2

Post by pmerrill »

We had some lightning on the weekend and I'm wondering whether it's blown a lan port on my NETGEAR WNDR3700v2. The symptom is thus, I have a cat5 cable running from the router to my PC. I noticed tongiht when I came home that I did not have connectivity from Port 4 of the router. Long story short, I plugged the cable into Port 3, no problem, Port 4 does not connect (PC thinks there is no cable connected at all).

Since I've got Gargoyle 1.5.8 running, I'm wondering whether I can confirm by sshing into the router and examining any settings to see whether the router thinks there is any problem with Port 4?

Other question is, could this possibly be a Gargoyle bug? I've rebooted the router but no luck, still has the same problem.

Update: Seems I have two ports not working, so more than likely lightning!?

Ideas?
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

FrequentlyWrong

Re: Hardware Issue - NETGEAR WNDR3700v2

Post by FrequentlyWrong »

I have the same router and version of Gargoyle. I suggest a cold boot (shutdown-unplug-wait 30 seconds-plug-restart).

If your power grid is unstable, invest in a battery-backup with surge protection.

pmerrill

Re: Hardware Issue - NETGEAR WNDR3700v2

Post by pmerrill »

Diagnosed the problem...new router. Appears the EMF from the lightning, which struck 50m from the house induced enough voltage in the cat5 to fry two of the network sockets, or more precisely the electronics attached to them inside the router. So while everything else works, it lost two network ports. Sigh.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W