[Solved] TOR wont enable for DHCP client

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rog66

[Solved] TOR wont enable for DHCP client

Post by Rog66 »

Hi - I've enabled TOR on my router and it works from my ipad but on my Windows8 desktop I get an error message telling me my computers ip address hasn't been assigned by DHCP. The problem is it is assigned by the routers DHCP server and is showing as a connected client in the routers status pages. I have just upgraded from 1.5.8 to 1.5.9 and am still getting the same error - anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Rog66 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rog66

Re: TOR wont enable for DHCP client

Post by Rog66 »

I fixed this by doing a factory reset and re-upgrading to 1.5.9 and then restoring the settings - it now works ok.

Rog66

Re: TOR wont enable for DHCP client

Post by Rog66 »

This problem returned shortly after I posted the last message. I've checked the scripts as far as my limited knowledge allows and it seems its checking in the ethers file (for a fixed ip address) and in the dhcp.leases file (for a dhcp lease). My MAC and IP address appears in both files (I set fixed ip addresses in the dhcp list for most clients on the LAN) and this problem only seems to occur on my desktop PC and not on any other connected host.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rog66

[SOLVED] Re: TOR wont enable for DHCP client

Post by Rog66 »

I found the problem in the code that checks the ip address of the requesting client. In my case my main computer has ip address 192.168.xx.2 and I have a static arp entry 192.168.xx.254 for WOL. The current code sees these as the same address in the arp table and gives an error (it just looks of the pattern of the first ip address). There needs to be a space after the $connect_ip as in the statement below and then it works fine. I'll submit as a bug.
:)
num_arp_entries=$(cat /proc/net/arp 2>/dev/null | grep "$connect_ip " | wc -l)