DSCP value for QoS

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

hbeardave

DSCP value for QoS

Post by hbeardave »

I'm trying to throttle back the CrashPlan cloud backup software.
(It's really messing with my VoIP calling, and setting QoS for VoIP doesn't seem to help)
It uses SSL and uses TCP over port 443, so I can't throttle by port number or data type.
...and it really impacts latency and jitter.

I CAN set a DSCP value for outgoing packets from CrashPlan.exe via Group Policy in Windows
(Differentiated Services Code Point which sets a DS field value in the IP4 header)

...but I can't figure out how to have Gargoyle look for that.

Netgear WNDR3700v2

pbix
Developer

Re: DSCP value for QoS

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle cannot use the DSCP field.

What I would recommend in this case is of course to get your VoIP traffic classified correctly. VoIP traffic can be classified by port range and UDP and sometimes source IP of the VoIP device. Certainly easy to put a min-bandwidth on that class. Then with ACC enabled your VoIP will not be disrupted by anything.

You could also make a backup class to prevent the backups from disrupting normal HTTP traffic. You can direct your backup connection to the backup class by using the "connection bytes" trigger on the upload QoS page. So the upload would start i the normal class and then after some limit of bytes had been reached it would be switched to your backup class. Normal HTTP traffic does not do much upload and the connections do not last very long.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

pelowj

Re: DSCP value for QoS

Post by pelowj »

Is there a technical reason why Gargoyle doesn't support any of the packet classification standards? 802.1p, DiffServ, etc. It always seemed to me that it'd be very handy.

With regards to catching CrashPlan... I don't actually have crashplan, but I do backup to AWS Glacier with Arq. Like crashplan, it uses a standard port and making a rule for it is tough. The way I went about it in the end was to find the Destination IP Range. For AWS, I used the EU (Ireland) IP range and set up a new Backup class with extremely low priority. Previously I had done the same with Backblaze but they were helpfull and had this KB article: https://help.backblaze.com/entries/2020 ... kblaze-use

Perhaps Crashplan have something similar?

Beir bua,
JP