Quota problem

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

momi

Quota problem

Post by momi »

I have a large wireless network in shopping mall. I it is open and free. I have 8 wireless routers with bandwidth of 2Mbps per router. The routers are WRT54GL. This is very busy mall I and I have very often a congestion on the network. I want to set quota of 2 Mbytes for each client, and when quota is reached to throtle bandwith down to 32 Kbytes per second
I have one test router in my office and I have installed Gargoyle 1.4.7. I has 2Mbps available bandwidth. i have configred quotas as on the picture in the atachment. I have tested with two clients.
When clients had reached quotas all bandwidth has been limited to 32 Mbytes per second, and not per client. So bandwidth of first client + bandwidth of second client = 32 Kbytes per second. I have messure this with network bandwidth monitor and on the clients I played HD youtube video.
What I want is: bandwidth of first client(32Kbyte per second) + bandwidth of second client(32 Kbytes per second)= 64 Kbytes per second

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (31.91 KiB) Viewed 5203 times

pbix
Developer

Re: Quota problem

Post by pbix »

QoS is intended to manage congestion.
Quotas are used to manage total upload and download data volume.

Why did you decide to use Quotas to manage congestion?

How are your 8 routers connected to the internet and what is the cause of the congestion you are having?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

momi

Post by momi »

Well I thought that it can limit per client download and upload speed...that is what I need
All routers have staticly assigned public IP address on WAN interface.

Well the cause of the congestion is that one client sits there in bar with laptop and decides to watch "How I met your mother" online, and uses all of the avaible bandwidth.

How I can limit any client that connects on WIFI, DHCP assign it IP address from pool, taht it has 256 Mbps of download and 256 Mbps of upload?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Well I should not have said what is the cause of your congestion but rather where is the congestion occurring? What is the speed of the WAN link each router has?

You are seriously hobbled by using the WRT54GL since it has only 16M of RAM. Gargoyle v1.5.6 and lower can run in 16M of RAM but there are limitations. For a few users (<10) each with a few connections and a WAN speed of only 2mbps you should be OK.

If you load v1.5.6 on your GL and simply enable QoS with the default settings you will obtain IP sharing. This will force all IPs to share the bandwidth equally. This is the normal and easy way such problems are solved. It is fair and does not waste available bandwidth. Versions prior to 1.5.4 do not have this feature.

Your idea of limiting each IP to no more than 256kbps will not solve your problem since if you have 10 people at 256kbps you will be congested once again. But you could do such a thing for up to around 20 users by creating a QoS class for each and a rule each to direct their traffic into their particular class.

Please read the QoS Wiki on this site. There is lots of good info there.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

momi

Post by momi »

Hi there,

thak you for the post. I have replaced WRT54GL with WRT160NL and I have flashed Gargoyle 1.4.7. I have set up the Qos (Upload/Download) and it it is working just fine.

But I have one funny thing. There is 6 routers, with static public IP addresses. I have changed http ports (https disabled) to 8127. And when I try to access via web it sometimes works on 8127, sometimes on 89 port.... :shock:

And all routers have on their WAN interface public static IP address, for example, 192.168.100.150 - 192.168.100.156....and when I try to access, for example, 192.168.100.152:8127 it access 192.168.100.155:8127 which is another router :? :shock: :? :o

I tought that it was a problem with mozzila, (caching etc), but i have switched to Chrome and the situation is the same. I have tried multiple PC (Linux, Win) and the situation is the same.

Any help? :geek:

momi

Post by momi »

My collegue find out what is the problem....All six Linksys wrt160nl had a SAME MAC ADDRESS: 42:9B:26:8A:21:33.....so routers are on the same switch...rrrrrrrrrrrrr........that caused the trouble...is this a bug? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ....this mac isn't even registred?