Problems accessing network drive using Android device

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

chkmouse

Problems accessing network drive using Android device

Post by chkmouse »

Hello;

I installed Gargoyle version 1.3.16 on my new Netgear WNDR3700v2, and plugged into the USB port a 2-Tb WD MyBook external drive. Under "USB Storage" I configured the drive as CIFS volume with access restricted by username and password. I can access the drive from Windows XP, after I log in with correct credentials.

I would like to access files on the network drive using a Samsung Galaxy tablet running Android OS. I installed two different apps reported to be able to mount network drives: ES File Explorer and AndSMB. Both of these apps allow me to specify the IP of the Samba server (i.e. the IP of the router) and access username and password that I configured in Gargoyle. However, they both report incorrect username or password, when I try to access the drive.

When I temporarily remove in Gargoyle the requirement to log in, I can access the drive anonymously.

I would be very grateful for any information that could help me get this setup working. Maybe there is some configuration element that I missed. I really don't want to re-flash the router with Netgear firmware just to see if it is a Gargoyle issue...

Thank you for any suggestions!