QoS disabled and upload speed affected

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Djoss

QoS disabled and upload speed affected

Post by Djoss »

I have both download and upload QoS disabled. I perform a speed test on speedtest.net without anything else generating traffic on my network. The download speed is correct (i.e. the same one as when I'm directly connected to my modem). But my upload speed is almost 40% less then when I'm connected directly to my modem.

How this can be explained?

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS disabled and upload speed affected

Post by pbix »

Well with QoS disabled I think you can conclude this is not a QoS issue.

Did you check to see if your router's CPU was being saturated?

How about providing some helpful details like your router model, Gargoyle version and upload/download speeds.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Djoss

Post by Djoss »

I'm running version 1.5.5 on an Alix 2D2. My ISP should provide 8mbps download, 1mbps upload.

I don't see that the CPU is saturated during my tests.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Not being familiar with that router I googled around and found http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm

That is a pretty cool looking board and should not have any trouble with a 8mbps/1mbps link. It looks like it has no wireless function, is that true?

I have no explanation for what you report. It will take some work on your part to get to the bottom of it. Things I would do to learn more.

1) Establish that the claim is true by trying different test (not just running speedtest.net) and repeating tests to make sure the result is consistent. Things like file copies to the internet should also be tried.

2) Hook the router to a PC and see if you can observe such a thing just with a PC. Observe the traffic with Wireshark and see if anything seems abnormal.

3) Try OpenWRT instead and Gargoyle and see if there is any difference.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM