Qos with two routers

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

a3aan

Qos with two routers

Post by a3aan »

Hi there,

My plan is to share 1 internetconnection with 2 gargoyle routers (in two separate houses).

The first router is set up with the internetconnection directly from the modem en the second router uses the internet from the first router (with a wired connection).

My question is: how do i set up the Qos so that the first router shares only 800kbs of the bandwith and the second router the rest of the bandwith (around 1,2 mb/s)?

My own idea was to connect the second router with a fixed (wired) ip and set it up in the dmz on the first router.

pbix
Developer

Re: Qos with two routers

Post by pbix »

Your plan will work and DMZ is not needed. The goal you specified can be achieved using QoS on the main router. You can leave QoS on the second router disabled.

As an example your main router will create a LAN 192.168.1.x and the secondary router will create a LAN 192.168.2.x. The secondary router also appears on the primary LAN as 192.168.1.2.

Then you write a QoS rule on the primary router to allocate the bandwidth our want to 192.168.1.2. All other bandwidth is reserved for the main router.

In this situation I would recommend you allocate bandwidth as a percentage rather than as a hard limit as you stated. For example 800kbps/2Mbps is 40%. Using this method the secondary router will be able to use any bandwidth not being used by the primary router. Only in the case when the link is 100% loaded will the 60/40 split occur.

You should start simple and understand how the above works before doing more with your QoS. Much more capability is there.

If you have a PPPoE connection use v1.5.6 since the PPPoE in v1.5.7 is broken.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

a3aan

Post by a3aan »

Thanks pbix! I will try it and post the results soon. :)
The sollution is easier than i thought!

a3aan

Post by a3aan »

Is it necessary to set maximum bandwidth?
I've created a rule + class as you described (and it works great!)

Do i need to set the maximum bandwidth in the class? Or is just 50% of the bandwidth enough to set?