1.5.6 on WNDR3700v2 - Cannot change firmware

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Luieburger

1.5.6 on WNDR3700v2 - Cannot change firmware

Post by Luieburger »

Hello all,

I tried gargoyle for the first time today and it's been lots of fun. Everything works great, but I wanted to try some other options. When I try to change the firmware with the Upgrade Firmware section, I get a long hanging "Upgrading, Please Wait." message that never goes away. I've let it sit for an hour and nothing has happened. I closed the browser and tried 3 more times with different firmware including the original Netgear firmware and Gargoyle 1.4.7. None of it seems to work. Nothing happens after the "Upgrading, Please wait" message comes up. Does it really take longer than an hour to upgrade the router firmware?

My router is: WNDR3700v2
The current installe firmware is: gargoyle_1.5.6-ar71xx-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img
Brwoser: Firefox or Chrome

SkyBoss

Re: 1.5.6 on WNDR3700v2 - Cannot change firmware

Post by SkyBoss »

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to upload. Does the gargoyle support direct upgrade flashing to other firmware? You might have to install in the safe mode/ firmware mode of the device via turning it off and pressing the reset button method.

Though I've only flashed my 3700 to gargoyle from the default installed firmware. I have v1 though.

2ks-kyle

Post by 2ks-kyle »

I have Gargoyle 1.5.6 on a WNDR3700 v2. I've used several versions and with the exception of the recent time setting issue from 1.5.5 they've all ran great. However, I have seen instances when configuration changes show the updating messages and just hang there. I.5.6 seems better and if I wait a few minutes it completes OK. I'm impatient so i end up clicking the upgrade button more than once. Sometimes when I had the hangup during an upgrade I did a 30-30-30 reset and it worked OK after that. I was never sure if that actually did anything or it just decided to work.

I know thats not much help but thats been my experience.... good luck

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

I have seen this before on my routers on 1.5.6.. Don't know how to fix.

Btw, I have experienced the same problem on the latest 1.5.7 too..

The best way or the only way I know is serial + tftp to reflash the router.
Probably won't help in your case, otherwise, you won't be asking then.
Last edited by ericwong on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Eric wrote: You can upload a firmware image to /tmp by scp, access the router by ssh and run "sysupgrade -n /tmp/[firmware_file]" However, most people don't want to mess around with ssh/scp if it can be helped.
Eric Bishop posted this method just now in the 1.5.7 release thread, try it..

For SCP, you can use
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

For SSH, you can use
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

You are expected to see something like this via SSH
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

For both software, username is root
password is the same password you use for the web admin login

Please google how to use these software if you have no idea what to do.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.