Looking to buy this router, but have questions

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Coder56

Looking to buy this router, but have questions

Post by Coder56 »

Hi,

I'm looking to buy this router, but I don't think I can see a compatible setup for my current network. I have just recently gone a bought a netgear DGN2200 V1 ADSL2 N300 wireless modem router.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wi ... N2200.aspx

Looking deep into the settings, it doesn't appear to support bridging... doh! And their built in traffic meter blows as I can't individual monitor traffic by mac address or IP.

It does however supports wireless repeating and point to point Bridging and also Multi point to point bridging wirelessly. Anyway, because I want to buy this gargoyle router, i'm thinking i'm gonna have to get a ADSL2 modem router that supports wired bridging. How come you guys don't have in your shop an option to buy this firmware loaded onto a router that has a built in ADSL2 modem? ...Nevermind, what I want to know is that if my ADSL2 modem supports wireless point to point bridging that gargoyle will be ok to use with it. Actually, the manual also states it also supports:

Repeater with Wireless Client Association
In the repeater mode with wireless client association, your modem router sends all traffic to a
base station access point. You can set up the modem router as either the base station
(parent) or as the repeater (child) access point.
Note that the following restrictions apply:
• You do not have the option of disabling client associations with this modem router.
• You cannot configure a sequence of parent-child APs. You are limited to only one parent
access point, although if your modem router is the parent access point, it can connect
with up to four child access points.

Lastly, if I cannot get this to work, is there a money back guarantee?

ericwong

Re: Looking to buy this router, but have questions

Post by ericwong »

Coder56 wrote:Hi,
How come you guys don't have in your shop an option to buy this firmware loaded onto a router that has a built in ADSL2 modem?
because Openwrt doesn't support ADSL1/2, etc.
Coder56 wrote: ...Nevermind, what I want to know is that if my ADSL2 modem supports wireless point to point bridging that gargoyle will be ok to use with it.
Should work, I believe.

The gargoyle web UI does have the Wireless Bridge/Repeater option.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Looking to buy this router, but have questions

Post by Eric »

Sorry for the delayed response -- I have never had a problem with customs when shipping to Australia. I have gotten many orders from there, and everything has always gone smoothly. The only downside is that shipping costs an arm and a leg (which is not something I can really control).