This should be simple ....

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

jh001

This should be simple ....

Post by jh001 »

Hey guys,

This is my situation:

I have a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with Gargoyle 1.5.6 running on it. This router is used for all wireless clients in the house and to connect to the internet through an external ADSL modem. That all works fine. Let's call this router A. Subnet 192.168.1.0

I also have some wired-only devices that I want to connect to the internet AND make available on the network - XBOX, NAS etc. These devices are not located near router A. To do this I got a second TL-WR1043ND, flashed with Gargoyle 1.5.6 Let's call this Router B.

Now, when I set up router B as a wireless bridge/repeater I can do the above ie. access the internet and access the NAS etc. Only problem is this is very slow with repeater/bridge mode halving speed.

SO, I thought let's configure Router B as a client - no AP, wired clients only - which should overcome that issue. Following some guides I found on the net, the setup is:

Router A: IP 192.168.1.1, DCHP set to assign router B to 192.168.1.12, firewall set to allow router B. Static route 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 LAN 192.168.1.12 added

Router B: IP 192.168.2.1, WAN IP set to DCHP (wireless), connected via WPA2-PSK to router A

With the above I can access the internet when connected (wired) to Router B and ping PCs etc on subnet A. However I cannot access the NAS from anywhere on subnet A. I suspect the issue is that (from router B's perspective) subnet A is WAN. I hoped adding the route would overcome this but clearly something else is needed.

All help appreciated. Oh, and in case you can't tell, I'm new to all this network stuff so be gentle.

pbix
Developer

Re: This should be simple ....

Post by pbix »

Rather than following a random setup guide how about using this standard Gargoyle configuration.
router.jpg
router.jpg (59.7 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Note the "Repeater Disabled" setting.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

jh001

Re: This should be simple ....

Post by jh001 »

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the setup you show. Even with the repeat function off the transfer speed is very low - roughly 1/3 of normal speed.

As a test, if I wire the NAS directly to the main router I get about 10 megabytes/second when copying files to a wirelessly connected PC. If I use the bridge function and wire the NAS to the secondary router I get 3 megabytes/second. The signal strength between the 2 routers is very good - 95% according to the "scan" function