Setting up QOS Bandwidth

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo

Setting up QOS Bandwidth

Post by Neo »

Hello All,

I am having a few problems understanding the speeds required for the settings of QoS (Download) & ACG. After reading the Wiki I did the following;

QOS without ACG

I have set my Total (Download) Bandwidth to 2000 kbit/s because when I checked using .www.speedtest.net the reported around 2200 kbit/s so I stayed on the safe side.

QOS with ACG

I should set my Total (Download) Bandwidth to what the modem reported attainable line rate - 20888 kbps

Is this correct :?:

pbix
Developer

Re: Setting up QOS Bandwidth

Post by pbix »

If www.speedtest.net says 2200 kbps then how can you line speed be 20888 kbps? This is a 10 to 1 difference and very strange.

Normally I would use the modem line speed but in this very strange case you should use 2200kbps.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Neo

Re: Setting up QOS Bandwidth

Post by Neo »

Correct, a speedtest reports 2.2mbps thats 2200kbps download speed My modem reports a connection to ADSL of ;ADSL Speed: 20862 kbps / 1022 kbps

The modem is reporting what the line connection is capable of i assume, as TPG says I have a connection capable of 20mbps/1mbps. But i would never expect those speeds, I would expect more like what speed test reports.

I dont understand why you think this is unusual. But bear in mind that I am using off net, it piggybacks other lines and possibly reports that rate, but will never deliver it, However I have never come across an ISP that can deliver the speed that it boasts is possible. And I have never known anyone achieve it as the bandwidth that is boasted is normally shared across many users.