Min bandwidth not working in 1.5.4

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

fightingdreamer

Re: Min bandwidth not working in 1.5.4

Post by fightingdreamer »

Regarding to "alternate ping target" 192.168.0.1, I wanted to make sure that everything works just like switched off "alternate ping target".
pbix wrote:Gargoyle really has no good way to do pick it other it than just pick the upstream router.
In theory you can ping in parallel to all the points[like mtr does][to dns], and choose the one which significantly increases the response time under heavy load.

You could perform such a test from time to time, in case of changes in network topology or ping target fail.

----------------------------

The ACCtest is a significant so it gives as an attachment, failed to make the ACC to working.

mtr logs in attachment was done when there was no load.

I think QoS choosing too high ping as ping limit.

Also checked gargoyle github mirror, seems that this change would useful to me:
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... dc1385931b

----------------------------

My ISP always had poor connection quality, mainly by working there morons[strange topology can also be the result].
Customers usually have rj-45 100Mbits/s[physical connection], sometimes fiber-optic cable.
Inside the network there are several wifi switch 5Ghz[work as extension cord].
Attachments
acc.gz
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 399 times

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I can only assume that on each of these tests you were trying to operate both classes at the highest speed. If that is the case it seems that none of the cases have QoS working correctly.

This problem is caused because packets are getting dropped somewhere other than in your Gargoyle router. They are also being dropped unevenly with more p2p packets being dropped than Normal packets.

It does not appear that the ACC can work for you. The change you referenced in the git will not help you either.

It seems that if you want QoS to function the only way that is working is to decrease your download speed and disable the ACC. How much I do not know but its somewhere between 3-4Mbps will start working. Without the ACC you will be subject to QoS breaking if for some reason your ISP decreases its performance for you.

Its an usual case, sorry it won't work for you.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

fightingdreamer

That's right, I tried http + torrent at the same time.

I do not give up so easily!

I tried to reproduce the effect of QoS github commit mentioned before.
I set DL Limit 4500, all the classes as RTT, 45ms ping limit, ping target as gateway.

ACC started to work[Link limit oscillated around ~3700-~4120] not perfect stable, but QoS was able to keep Min BW for Normal class during the entire test[most of the time a bit more than Min BW].

Code: Select all

Congestion Control Status
State             MINRTT
Link limit        3886 (kbps)
Fair Link limit   3886 (kbps)
Link load         4333 (kbps)
Ping              15 (ms)
Filtered ping     33 (ms)
Ping time limit   45 (ms)
Classes Active    3

Service Class Name | Percent BW | Min BW | Max BW | Min RTT | Load 
Voip                 1%           80       200      Yes       0.0
Fast                 40%          1000     nolimit  Yes       1
Slow                 8%           250      nolimit  Yes       140
Normal               40%          2000     nolimit  Yes       2603
p2p                  1%           zero     nolimit  Yes       1310
games                10%          500      nolimit  Yes       0.0
Is it possible to retrieve ACC statistics via ssh[the same as the WebGUI displays]? really really needs them[in /tmp/qosmon.status values ​​are averaged].
I want trace the activity ACC and QoS under load.
I want to find the point[Link limit set by the ACC and filtered ping] at which the collapse of a Percent BW.

Maybe I'll be able to modify the source code and make the necessary changes, but first I need to see if it will make sense.

_edit:
btw. why QoS and ACC worked in 1.4.6?

this works:

root@Gargoyle:~# ln -s /tmp/qosmon.status /www/status

root@Gargoyle:~# cat > /www/loadavg.sh << EOF
#!/usr/bin/haserl
Content-Type: text/plain

<? cat /proc/loadavg ?>
EOF
root@Gargoyle:~# chmod a+x /www/loadavg.sh

$ watch -n1 curl -s http://192.168.1.1/status

$ watch -n1 curl -s http://192.168.1.1/loadavg.sh

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

If you can build Gargoyle then you can get the latest qosmon code an build it yourself. There is a flag in the Makefile 'ONLYBG'. If you remove this flag and link with ncurses you will get a version that can run in the foreground (no -b command line) and it has the display you are looking for. I used this mode to initially develop qosmon, its been a while since I linked that way but it should still work.

Trouble is that your router has such limited RAM that it may not be able to install the ncurses package you need to run in this mode.

In v1.4.6 qosmon could not mode switch between ACTIVE mode and MINRTT mode. It only had MINRTT mode. In the git version setting a manual ping time forces qosmon to remain in MINRTT mode. Also setting all the MINRTT flags as you did also forces it to stay in MINRTT mode. So it may be that the longer ping time of ACTIVE mode is not working.

I will be interested in your results.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

fightingdreamer

Today I did not have time to do the exact test, but from morning till now works well, it seems that 23ms is ok[very large load at morning].

$ curl -s http://192.168.1.1/status | head -n8 | sed "s/: /:|/g" | column -t -s "|"
State:            IDLE
Link limit:       3921 (kbps)
Fair Link limit:  3952 (kbps)
Link load:        36 (kbps)
Ping:             off
Filtered ping:    2 (ms)
Ping time limit:  23 (ms)
Classes Active:   2
-----------------

Theoretically, if I delete some parts of gargoyle WebGUI [images etc.], ncurses should fit[limited space in flash memory].

This router has a terribly long bootup time, so maybe I will use a old pc as a router.
I will try to build a gargoyle from source.

pbix thanks for your help and of course your contribution to the gargoyle QoS.

fightingdreamer

After a long time, I have to admit that the ACC does not work for me, it is too unstable.
Of course, 1.5.4 is experimental.

DL limit set to 3500 kbits/s[ACC off] and QoS works very well for me.

I will try to put the gargoyle on the old PC (Pentium 1.7), I will be able to recompile and immediately see it in action[QoS takes time to restart on router].