WRT54G_v2 (Which firmware)?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

lwrver

WRT54G_v2 (Which firmware)?

Post by lwrver »

My first time to flash a Broadcom product. Which firmware version is compatible with the WRT54G_v2? I've tried v1.4.7 and v1.5.4, both .bin and .trx, with mixed results and little success. Recommendations please?

Thanks

lwrver

Re: WRT54G_v2 (Which firmware)?

Post by lwrver »

More Information:
I'm trying to use this WRT54G_v2 as a repeater (AP+Client) mode. I have been using the Atheros based MR3201a and FON's in this mode for quite awhile, but they are no longer readily available. My current observations are as follows after reflash and connected wirelessly from host computer.

Gargoyle v1.4.7 stable
* DHCP (Wireless)
* No AP+Client mode (Client Mode ONLY!)
* Wireless Scan works OK

Gargoyle v1.5.4 Experimental
* DHCP (Wireless)
* AP+Client mode is available
* Wireless Scan function inoperative (No wireless networks available)
* Network window shows only "Existing Wireless" message

Has anyone ever used the WRT54G successfully as a client device?

I also have a TL-WR740N on order to see if it will work in this mode.

lwrver

Post by lwrver »

I suspect that at least the earlier versions of the Broadcom devices do not support the dual-radio functions that are common with Atheros devices. Most of the Atheros based AP's work well in AP+Client mode, but I have yet to find a BCM based AP that will do so. Please correct me if I am wrong about this. The BCM devices seem to work OK in AP and Client mode though, but not as a repeater/range extender as I am trying to do. I'm hoping to have better luck with the TL-WR740N AP. Anyone know of any other inexpensive Atheros based AP's similar to the Mr3201a that are worthy of consideration?

mix

Post by mix »

You should be using 1.4.7. The wireless drivers in 1.4.7 and 1.5.4 are the same, so I don't really know what your observations are related to.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

lwrver

Post by lwrver »

Hi "Mix". I was unable to find the "AP+Client" mode selectable from the wireless menu using v1.4.7. Only client mode was available. It worked fine as a client device via the ethernet port, but no WLAN to connect to wirelessly. v1.5.4 does display the AP+CLient mode, but a scan says "no wireless networks available". I'm accustomed to using the single lan Atheros devices for wifi repeaters, and they work fine, but this is the first time I've tried to setup a BCM device this way.