One quota used up, others lose internet

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

BikeMike

One quota used up, others lose internet

Post by BikeMike »

Hi, I'm using the Gargoyle version 1.0.3 on WRT54GL. I have individual daily download and upload quotas on PCs. I also have an "all others combined" small quota set to catch usage by other network devices.

I'm now having a problem that when one PC reaches it's individual quota, other PCs lose their internet connection. All further browsing attempts by them simply go to the Gargoyle login page, showing their quota not used up.

I can adjust the quota that has reached 100% increasing it by 1Mb and access is restored for all when settings are saved.

Anyone else having this problem?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: One quota used up, others lose internet

Post by Eric »

There was an issue like this in version 1.0.0, but it should have been fixed in 1.0.1. I'm surprised (and alarmed) this may still be around in 1.0.3. I'll look into this right away.

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

I have been using Gargoyle since earlier versions, and have reloaded the config after each upgrade... could this be a problem? Should I perhaps redo all the setup from scratch on this version (not that I want to!)

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I don't think so. Beta5 quota configs won't work with 1.0.0+ but I don't think they will interfere. I'll see if I can reproduce this today/tonight, and if I can't I may ask to see your config, just to verify that there's nothing odd in there. I really doubt that's the problem though.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Ok, I think I fixed this. New firmware (1.0.4) uploaded.

The problem wasn't with the quotas themselves, but with the web redirect (which I recently added) getting triggered whenever even one quota limit had been reached. Only http/https connections are affected -- you probably could still ssh out just fine because the redirect, but not the actual quota limit had been triggered.

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Hi Eric,
I've just loaded 1.0.4 but having other quota problems now. It seems a bit inconsistent but mostly that only my first fixed IP quota works. All the others show N/A on the firewall-quotas page and don't appear at all on status-quota usage. Also I have seen a couple of "odd" IPs not in my address range on status-quotas, showing 100%.

I tried editing and saving each quota, another one seemed to work for a while but then disappeared again while I was trying to fix others. Then I completely deleted all quotas and re-added, rebooted, but it still seems the same, only one working quota.
Regards,
Mike

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Strange... I changed all my quotas from upload/download limits to combined limits, now it seems to be working fine.

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Well I spoke too soon! Just checked and quotas are broken again. All showing N/A and the status-quota usage shows one entry for 156.104.203.42 (not my IP) with 100% used. Web usage and QOS distribution are also not working.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I don't use Quota's but I'll run some tests on this when I get home.

I also have 1.0.4 loaded on my Fonera

I'll setup a couple IP's with just maybe 10 MB quota on each, or whatever the lowest quota # you can set.

I run a static IP on my NIC so I can just alternate to different IP's
to test if this is working or not.

Will report results back in about 8 hours-ish.

===============================

OK, got home and tried out the quotas. Using 1.0.4

Set 192.168.1.240 @ 50MB, 192.168.1.245 @ 50MB,
192.168.1.250 @ 250MB

Set to 192.168.1.240 IP, used up BW, pages froze.
Had to load up a different browser, then I get the Gargoyle
signon page and shown 100% quota used up.

Switched to 192.168.1.245 - still was able to browse, so used
up the 50mb bandwidth there, and pages froze. Switch to a
different browser, get Gargoyle setup / 100% used page.

Switched to 192.168.1.250 - able to browse internet again.

Only issue I see is the re-direct does not always work/load?

I have to switch to another browser or open a brand new tab
or web page in order to get the Gargoyle / ran out of bandwidth
message page alert.

I forgot to mention. I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 and
Google Chrome 3.0.195.6 - latest available versions for both.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Gabnoj

Post by Gabnoj »

I'm also getting this problem.

Using 1.0.2, network access is cutting out for all users with quotas once one quota is reached (though staying alive for those given static IPs without quotas attached), but in 1.0.4, quotas are all skewed.

I reflashed 1.0.4 and restored the settings saved from 1.0.2, and now some quotas are showing up in "Quota Usage" (though none from the restored settings file), while others are not, at seemingly random times.

Strange IPs are also showing up in the "Quota Usage" sidebar, IPs like 156.203.32.101, or ones that have nothing to do with my local or external network.

On the quota config page, all the originally set quotas are showing up, though all have "N/A" for all upload, download and combined used..

Odd...