TL-WR941ND - No internet access

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

cj_mack

Re: TL-WR941ND - No internet access

Post by cj_mack »

Hi, now that you point it out, yes all 3 are the same. This screenshot is from when the TP link was connected straight to the modem. I still can't ping google.com, however this time it just sits there, instead of giving an error message.
Attachments
tp-link2.jpg
tp-link2.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 7935 times

mix

Post by mix »

How could your wan IP address be 192.168.1.65? This is a private IP address range, your modem should not be handing it out unless it has a router built into it-which I am going to assume now it does. You are doing double nat. Even worse, you are trying to do double nat within the same subnet, which will never work. You need to disable the router functionality and bridge your modem. Your WR941ND should report your real public ip address as it's wan ip address.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

Ok so I have changed it to bridge mode, and changed to the LAN IP to 192.168.2.1

Well, I have internet working, but I can't access the router admin on either the new or old IP.

It has me baffled, as the WRT has the same subnet on both WAN and LAN, and isn't bridged, and it works fine?

mix

Post by mix »

Changed what to bridge mode? You need to disable nat routing in your modem.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

Sorry I havn't been able to reply, been working too much to fiddle with the gear.

I mis-read it, and I changed the TP link to bridge mode. I now cannot access the admin page on it. I can login via putty, but don't know what commands to use.

On a side note, I upgraded the WRT54GL to the latest release, and now that also has no internet, and also no WLAN. The admin page is sooo slow to load, and it won't let me upload an older version. What is going on??

I had a lot at the modem, there is no settings for bridge or NAT. Pretty much just PPPoA, user/password, and thats about it.

Now I have no routers working, what do I do?

mix

Post by mix »

Tell me the make and model of the DSL modem.

In the meantime, you should be able to do double nat and at least surf the internet. You need to make sure that the lan subnet of your Gargoyle router is different than the wan subnet. So if your wan ip is 192.168.1.x (which is was in previous posts/screenshots), then your wan ip needs to be anything but 192.168.1.x (192.168.2.x would work for example).
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

I will try the different subnet after dinner. The Modem is a thomson speedtouch ST536 v6

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

Ok, so subnet is now changed on the WRT, and internet is back. However, still no wifi...?

mix

Post by mix »

cj_mack wrote:Ok, so subnet is now changed on the WRT, and internet is back. However, still no wifi...?
I'm using 1.4.7 on my WRT54GL. Wifi is working fine. I use WPA Personal for the encryption type. What does no wifi mean? It's not broadcasting or you cannot connect to the AP you create?

Also, there are plenty of guides out there if you google your DSL modem with the phrase "thomson speedtouch ST536v6 bridge." If it is somehow disabled in the web interface, you can do it through telnet. But this is about as far as I am going to go with this. If you didn't realize you couldn't surf the internet with double nat, I don't want to be responsible when you inevitable misconfigure your dsl modem.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

cj_mack

Post by cj_mack »

On the admin page, it shows as wifi being active. Router is setup as a gateway. I don't use any encryption, just a MAC white list, as there are no houses or roads anywhere near our house for people to use our wifi.
the wifi light is not showing on the front of the router, and no devices can find it in a scan. All the settings are the same as before the upgrade, as I restored them from a backup I made moments before I started.