Which would you recommend? WRT54G v2 or WRT54GS v1

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

lands.wilmoth

Which would you recommend? WRT54G v2 or WRT54GS v1

Post by lands.wilmoth »

I'm in the market for a dd-wrt compatible router. Which would you recommend?
  • WRT54G v2 (200Mhz CPU/16MB RAM/4MB ROM; chipset?)
  • WRT54GS v1 (200Mhz CPU/32MB RAM/8MB ROM; Broadcom BCM4712KPB and ADMtek 6996L switch)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series)

Basically, I've heard that the Broadcom chipset is better. But the WRT54GS v1 has a ADMtek chipset for the switch. Would it be better to steer clear of it and get the WRT54G v2 instead?

Thanks!

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Which would you recommend? WRT54G v2 or WRT54GS v1

Post by Eric »

I personally own a WRT54Gv2, and not a GS. However, other people have reported that the GS works just fine. Also, the extra flash and, even more importantly the extra memory will make your router more stable and allow you to do a lot of extra cool things, so I would suggest you go with the GS.

The only time the switch matters is if you intend to set up separate wired subnetworks with a vlan. Gargoyle does not currently support vlan configuration (this feature has low priority since it doesn't work on all hardware, and it's often hard to detect wether it will work or not). However, if you modify openwrt config files, you can definitely configure the vlan if that's what you want to do.

mordak

Post by mordak »

I would like the GS better for the larger flash and ram. It gives you more options. On eBay there's the WRT54G-TM it's the T-Mobile edition more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G-TM#WRT54G-TM It is essentially a WRT54GS v3.0 it needs a special CFE flash first wia the web interface of the stock firmware then TFTP the firmware of your choice after. If you decide to go this route there's a whole install howto at the DD-WRT wiki to make it easier. OpenWrt works great so Gargoyle should also. Good luck on your decision making.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think you should go with atheros chipset

Engenius
EOC-1650
EOC-2610
etc

Ubiquiti
PicoStation2HP
etc

More power, bigger range, more features

mordak

Post by mordak »

ispyisail wrote:I think you should go with atheros chipset

Engenius
EOC-1650
EOC-2610
etc

Ubiquiti
PicoStation2HP
etc

More power, bigger range, more features
The Ubiquity PicoStation 2HP only has an Atheros MIPS 4KC, 180 MHz 32MB RAM, 8MB Flash and 1 x 10/100 Ethernet port. So other than size of the unit, it's not really any bigger or faster. And again with Engenius EOC-1650, it's smaller but has fewer ports and the same amount of ram and flash. These are certainly very cool devices but if he's looking for a home based router, these are not really an ideal thing for him IMHO anyway. There are other Atheros routers that are very fast WRT160NL just to name one it's 400 mhz chip is pretty fast but doesn't have 3rd party support yet. Although the OpenWrt guys are getting close from what I read. :D

lands.wilmoth

Post by lands.wilmoth »

Thanks so much for the helpful advise!

I found a Linksys WRT54GS v2 with DD-WRT v24 on eBay and one it for $39 + 12.99 shipping, and it works great. So far, the DD-WRT software is working fine for me; using the router as a repeater was a requirement, and that works great.

Not to change the course of this topic, but... Would you recommend a change to Gargoyle? If so, what would be your main reasons?

Thanks again!

mordak

Post by mordak »

lands.wilmoth wrote:Thanks so much for the helpful advise!

I found a Linksys WRT54GS v2 with DD-WRT v24 on eBay and one it for $39 + 12.99 shipping, and it works great. So far, the DD-WRT software is working fine for me; using the router as a repeater was a requirement, and that works great.

Not to change the course of this topic, but... Would you recommend a change to Gargoyle? If so, what would be your main reasons?

Thanks again!
Ease of use for the end user. Open source.