Trying to upgrade firmware on WRT54GL not working

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mbourd25

Trying to upgrade firmware on WRT54GL not working

Post by mbourd25 »

Hi, I tried to update my Linksys WRT54GL to version 1.47 from 1.45 and it's not working. The uploading screen stays on for quite a while, I left it for 10 minutes. Came back and the screen was still on uploading firmware. When I did a refresh page in Firefox, it came back displaying the status screen with still firmware version 1.45?

Is there something I have to do before hand to do the update? By the way, I plugged in directly into port 1 when trying the upgrade.

Let me know if more info is required.

Thanks.

pbix
Developer

Re: Trying to upgrade firmware on WRT54GL not working

Post by pbix »

These routers are memory constrained. I recommend that you restore the default settings on your router, then disable the WAN interface and reboot.

This should free up the maximum possible RAM. Then you can try and upload the .trx file through the web interface and it should work.

Be sure to allow plenty of time as you did, it takes awhile.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

mix

Post by mix »

I always have to flash mine from the cli myself. If you have trouble with pbix's instructions, post back here and I will give you details on how to do it.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

mbourd25

Post by mbourd25 »

Thanks for your help pbix and mix, I'll try and let you know how it goes flashing the firmware after resetting everything.

Thanks again.