Is there a package install page?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

mordak

Is there a package install page?

Post by mordak »

I can't seem to find the package installation page similar to the one X-Wrt has. Or is it left out intentionally? I figured I could add packages for additional functionality. I guess I could use ssh to and "opkg install" for the one's I want.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Is there a package install page?

Post by Eric »

Yeah, this is actually intentional. The vast majority of packages require command-line configuration, so it's kind of pointless to install them via the browser if you're going to have to login via the command line to configure them anyway. The packages that can be configured via the GUI are already included by default in Gargoyle.

The idea behind Gargoyle is that it can be readily used by anyone including someone only familiar with only very, very basic networking concepts. I don't want to overwhelm the novice users with information on packages that they will find very difficult and confusing to use. However, since it's built on OpenWrt, it's very easy for experts to ssh in and configure whatever they want.

However, one feature I've been planning FOREVER, but never seem to get around to is a plugin system. While most OpenWrt packages won't be installable via the GUI, officially supported (and GUI-configurable) additional functionality will be available for installation as plugins. This is for functionality that isn't included by default because it would take up too much space in many devices, but is appropriate for larger systems. OpenVPN is a good example of this. Like I said though, things keep coming up and I've been dragging my feet on this feature.

mordak

Re: Is there a package install page?

Post by mordak »

Eric wrote:Yeah, this is actually intentional. The vast majority of packages require command-line configuration, so it's kind of pointless to install them via the browser if you're going to have to login via the command line to configure them anyway. The packages that can be configured via the GUI are already included by default in Gargoyle.

The idea behind Gargoyle is that it can be readily used by anyone including someone only familiar with only very, very basic networking concepts. I don't want to overwhelm the novice users with information on packages that they will find very difficult and confusing to use. However, since it's built on OpenWrt, it's very easy for experts to ssh in and configure whatever they want.

However, one feature I've been planning FOREVER, but never seem to get around to is a plugin system. While most OpenWrt packages won't be installable via the GUI, officially supported (and GUI-configurable) additional functionality will be available for installation as plugins. This is for functionality that isn't included by default because it would take up too much space in many devices, but is appropriate for larger systems. OpenVPN is a good example of this. Like I said though, things keep coming up and I've been dragging my feet on this feature.
Well I can certainly understand about other things coming up and I do see your point of your design of the Gargoyle firmware being easy for everyone to use. I find it far easier than X-Wrt and much slicker. You are correct about the OpenWrt admin via ssh. I can setup most anything I want that way. Thanks for the quick responses. :D