best wireless for wrt54gl?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Aggie

best wireless for wrt54gl?

Post by Aggie »

Hi guys

I've gone through the forum and found that there was quite a bit of trouble with wireless for wrt54gl
I was hoping to get your opinion on what is the best load for wireless for this router
I was running 1.4.1 until several days ago
at the beginning 1.4.1 was doing ok...
but recently i had to restart my router on a daily bases because wifi will all of a sudden die even tho wireline is ok. This seemed to be a common problem when i read the forum
So I tried 1.4.6 but I think that entire load was bad for my router since it died when I tried to add a new mac address
I just loaded on 1.4.5

I configure static IPs so I can track BW usage
my wireless configuration is done with WPA2PSK
non-broadcasting, mac address list enabled.

I've seen in some other thread that people prefer WPA TKIP.
Does anyone know what is the most stable load of Gargoyle for wireless? I would like to put that on.

Thanks
Aggie

mix

Re: best wireless for wrt54gl?

Post by mix »

Well I am using 1.4.5 w/ WPA (TKIP) without any issues. I am not using QoS but I do have UPnP enabled. There really aren't any significant changes between 1.4.5 and 1.4.6 for Broadcom hardware either, so I'd expect performance and behavior to be near identical. I don't really understand how the firmware load was bad or whatever you are saying. However, I haven't been able to update the firmware using the web interface in some time, I'd guess because of some sort of memory issue. I always have to use SCP or wget to load the firmware to the /tmp directory, and then run mtd from the cli via ssh to flash the firmware.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Aggie

Re: best wireless for wrt54gl?

Post by Aggie »

hum...WPA TKIP
is it still wap2 psk on the router?
it doesn't seem to let me choose AES or TKIP

The only options i have are
WPA2 PSK
WPA PSK
WEP
WPA2 PSK Radius
WPA PSK Radius

When I choose WPA2 it won't let me choose TKIP or AES...and it seems to autodefault to AES