Should I be able to get to my modem?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Re: Should I be able to get to my modem?

Post by tals »

ispyisail wrote:
My modem IP is 192.168.10.1 which as stated needs to be on a different subnet to my router. In the modemaccess.sh you set that to an ip (for the router_ip) in the same subnet, for me I set it as pbix said to 192.168.10.2
how did you run the script?

auto run?
reboot?
or manually run the script?
I edited it with vi, not sure if you need a section on what editor you should use - hate vi but wasn't sure what else I could use :(

I then rebooted the router and it worked. Modem's ip changed without a reboot but I guess it's not about the modem

** Not sure how easy this would be to implement in the Gargoyle interface, but imho it's quite useful to see what the line is actually doing
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I then rebooted the router and it worked. Modem's ip changed without a reboot but I guess it's not about the modem
I wish you had tried before the reboot

I not sure what to say about that on the wiki

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

ispyisail wrote:
I wish you had tried before the reboot

I not sure what to say about that on the wiki
The script is properly run at initialization, so a reboot will at least not harm.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

tals

Post by tals »

From a post pbix made
You must reset your router after making these changes before they will become effective.
Didn't even consider running it without rebooting - pbix or hn probably can comment on whether it would be worthwhile just running, much easier to say amend settings then reboot tbh

** Not sure i'm reading ispy correctly but it wouldn't have worked without the reboot unless you could run the initialisation seperately

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

tals wrote:From a post pbix made
You must reset your router after making these changes before they will become effective.
Didn't even consider running it without rebooting - pbix or hn probably can comment on whether it would be worthwhile just running, much easier to say amend settings then reboot tbh
I am in general a fan of rebooting after making major changes.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... adsl_modem

please point out any mistakes

Thank you

tals

Post by tals »

Introduction would suggest it reads

For those of you that have ADSL connections but want to deploy a gargoyle router with a single NAT you will need to find a ADSL router that can be set into a “simple ADSL modem” or alternatively an ADSL modem.

You can of course put another ADSL router in front of the Gargole router but you will run into issues with 'double NAT' (network address translation). This is where NAT occurs twice, once at the first ADSL router and then again at the Gargoyle router.

To prevent this you can convert certain routers into a simple ADSL modem.

I don't understand the below
The benefits of this are that your xDSL Router becomes transparent and your Gargoyle router will obtain your WAN (wide area network) IP address directly. This is useful should you need to port forward or remotely gain access to your network from the internet.

Suggest it reads
The benefits of this are you will be able to directly access your ADSL modem to view line information which you cannot do otherwise without connecting a machine directly to the modem

Requirements slight mispelling

PPPoE connection (PPPoA is not suitable). I don't think it is PPPoA is unsuitable it's just (as i understand it) a terminology, so for a router to access through a modem it uses PPoE but the connection details are the same

So I would just say
PPPoE Connection (in most cases this is the same as your PPPoA details but check with your ISP if unsure

xDSL modem should be ADSL modem or ADSL Router that can convert to ADSL modem (eg netgear DG 834 series)

I maybe misunderstanding the xDSL but shouldn't xDSL read ADSL where modems are concerned?

Regarding the 834 you may want to have that as a seperate Wiki in respect of setting up the 834 Series as a ADSL modem and have a link to that instead?

When you say edit I would suggest saying edit using vi or (??) editor - just because if there is a better one it's useful for us almost linux people :)

After reboot your router you could put

You should now be able to access your adsl modem via
http://192.168.10.1

On your diagram I would suggest you have the modem as 192.168.10.1 just in case anyone decides to use 192.168.10.2 instead :)

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

ok, thanks

You know of cause anybody can edit the wiki directly :)

tals

Post by tals »

I actually didn't - i'm off away from tomorrow am so won't be able todo anything till next week sometime but happy to put the amendments in when I get a chance

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I edited the Wiki page you started to straighten out some things.

I could not change the diagram which is nice but in my opinion you should change the 'subnet' label such that it appears between the devices. This indicates that devices connected to that network are on the subnet.

In this case your router is on both subnets so it has two IP addresses, one for each subnet.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM