QoS to guarantee base bandwidth

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

rmjb

QoS to guarantee base bandwidth

Post by rmjb »

Hello forum,

I have need of a router to provide for the following scenario and I am hoping that Gargoyle can do it.

Three houses are going to share one internet connection. The internet connection will be in house 1 and houses 2 & 3 will be connected via outdoor wireless. The internet connection will be paid for in full by houses 2 & 3, it is a 25Mb down 1.5 Mb up connection.
I want to set it up so that house 1 is guaranteed 5 Mb down a .5 Mb up and houses 2 & 3 are guaranteed 10Mb down and .5 Mb up each. If any house is not active on the internet connection that house's bandwidth will be used by the other houses. Therefore the figures I gave would be guaranteed base bandwidths for each house.

Can Gargoyle do this kind of QoS bandwidth management? I asked this same question on dd-wrt forum and go no response.

Also, would the Gargoyle Home Router for sale on this site perform well in this scenario? Would it also perform well if the internet connection was increased to 50Mb down and 2Mb up?

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS to guarantee base bandwidth

Post by pbix »

50mbps is rather high throughput. I would worry that the routers for sale on the website could do this but I frankly do not know for sure. Perhaps others can comment.

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and I can recommend it in this case. Plenty of memory, fast, includes handy USB port support by Gargoyle.

Gargoyle QoS can do what you describe very nicely and more. Be happy to work with your on it when you get it up and running.

Oh and since DD-WRT QoS does not actually work it might explain why you did not get a response there. ;)
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Thanks for the reply and the recommendation. The router i need to do the QoS needs no wireless so you don't think ths will be overkill right?
The outdoor wireless will be provided by ubiquiti APs.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I saw today on OpenWrt.org that the Buffalo router I mentioned has some late breaking issue. Apparently recent versions have some hardware change that is not presently supported in Backfire. So maybe not a good choice right now.

No one has any performance data to share with you I am afraid. As I said previously the routers on this forum may work fine or they may run out of gas at 50mbps. But if you are good with Ubiquiti why not get a RouterStation from them? It has has a reputation of being the fastest available.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

rmjb

Post by rmjb »

I saw the RouterStation recommended somewhere else too.
I'm not good with Ubiquiti at all, this is the first project like this that I'm attempting. I just did some research and the Ubiquity Nanostation seemed to fit my needs for outdoor wifi.

I see the RouterStation for sale on a site, but it looks like it's just a board, you have to get a case separately for it?

Also you mentioned Backfire, I thought Gargoyle was based on Kamikaze?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

rmjb wrote:...
Also you mentioned Backfire, I thought Gargoyle was based on Kamikaze?
no the newer Gargoyle releases are based on OpenWRT Backfire.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

rmjb

Post by rmjb »