Bandwith usage well under

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Re: Bandwith usage well under

Post by tals »

I'm not sure if it would affect the stats but why do you have the 7800N in the equation. I had one of those, but after moving to Gargoyle it went on ebay and I now just have Gargoyle (through the Netgear 3700).

Now in terms of the stat tracking are you saying that if you go into bandwidth distribution and set timeframe in days the bandwidth there (either by hostname or ip then click through the days) doesn't reflect correctly i.e your isp says gbs and you say mbs - time reference is probably not so key as the gb has to come down at some point :)

But if you are - definitely lose the 7800n (or set it up as the gateway) - even temporarily just to make sure connections arn't going through that.

(not sure how easy it would be but totals on the bottom of the table would be useful)

I'm using 1.51 of Gargoyle but don't think this matters in this case
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

moz

Post by moz »

Thanks for the info guys.
I might try and see if I can get the netgear to handle the connection. I do know that the daily totals will be out by at least half an hour due to the time zone differences between myself and my ISP. However we are talking large differences here. Even today, I have 798MB recorded on my ISP and Gargoyle is reporting 115MB. Interestingly, of that 115MB, 52MB is download and 63MB is upload. My ISP is showing 86MB upload, so at least that looks closer to the mark, but my ISP is showing 711MB download. With our typical use around the family here, our downloads would be greater than uploads. Over these last few days, we haven't had any filesharing going.

Our typical use over these last few days has been myself playing online mmo, partner facebooking, boy on the xbox, and girl on tumbler, facebook, and other whatevers. We also have network drives for photos, media ect... so recording network usage would be skewed showing internal network consumption. I think I'm going to have to try and connect without the 7800N and just use the WNDR3700 to connect to the internet.

edit: Yeah I also do have the 192.168.0.2 address set up as a gateway on all my networked consoles and pc's, and I just use dhcp for wireless connections.

tals

Post by tals »

From my perspective with the active congestion control in place it's a joy for gamers and is a very tidy solution. Get a £20 adsl modem and then sell the billion.

Only thing to note re acc it will reduce your download speeds to ensure your gaming/voip is sweet for all the gamers and ensures the pings should remain good even under quite a lot of load.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

moz

Post by moz »

I have disconnected the Billion and am now using the WNDR3700. Now it seems like all usage per IP is much closer to the internet logs. 1913MB vs 1902MB is pretty good.

Now that I know which IP address has the usage, I would like to know the nature of this usage. I am pretty damn sure that the user is doing more than what he would let me believe, youtube, tumbler, facebook should not total around 2000MB per day... I would like to know how to work out the nature of the internet usage. The Web Usage page only shows visited web sites, but not how much is downloaded from web sites. I'd also like to work out if torrents are involved, or virus. What is the best way to investigate from here?

Cheers.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You might check the connections page periodically. From that page you can get a sense of how much data is coming from different places.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

moz

Post by moz »

I guess there is nothing that can give me the data the day after? the boy usually gives the internet a workout after everyone else has gone to bed...

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

There is only a few things that would cause that much data usage.

If he was watching a lot of youtube / online videos, it should
show up as web browser usage.

Downloading large files also web usage or ftp usage.

Anything else is more than likely torrents etc, which are much
harder to track as you can anonymize it as well as use non-standard
ports, meaning you'd have to track almost every port.

If the usage isn't obvious, it is probably torrents.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400