Archer C7 v3 Works!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

butler360

Archer C7 v3 Works!

Post by butler360 »

I ordered a C7 from Amazon assuming it would be a "v2" and when it got here today it showed "3.0" for the version (hardware and firmware). That threw me off so to be safe I tried searching to see if it's supported, and ended up with like 20 tabs open on OpenWRT, DD-WRT, etc. with posts about US region routers blocking third-party firmware and having to rename files or flash a special build of DD-WRT first, then revert, etc. Almost nothing talked about v3 hardware, though, so I just went for it.

I uploaded 1.9.1 (without renaming it or anything special), and it just worked! Gargoyle of course shows it as a v2 router, but other than that it seems just fine. Although I couldn't do a ton of in-depth testing, it's not for me. So maybe TP-Link backed off their craziness a bit?

At any rate given that info for v3 hardware is just about impossible to find, I figured I'd post here. Maybe it can be added to the list of compatible hardware? Or if more info is needed to confirm let me know.

tapper

Re: Archer C7 v3 Works!

Post by tapper »

Hi mate grate news :)
Pleas let us no if you have any issues.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

truefire

Re: Archer C7 v3 Works!

Post by truefire »

I can confirm, latest fw version of 1.9.2 (experimental) for the Archer C7 v2 works without issue (so far) on my v3 as well, US model.

Tested features:

5.0/2.4Ghz wifi
abgn/ac
Port forwarding
Google DNS

Tried a webcam, but it didn't work. It's not a common cam though, so I'm hesitant to blame the firmware.