Static WAN IP - no DNS setting

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

not2stressed

Static WAN IP - no DNS setting

Post by not2stressed »

I've installed v1.9.0 on a NETGEAR WNDRMACv2 using the firmware for this router from the download page, and all is working well except ...
I need to use a static WAN IP and there is no option in the web interface to set a WAN side DNS address, resulting in no name resolution. I've got around that by adding the line

Code: Select all

option dns '192.168.0.254'
to the "config interface 'wan'" section in /etc/config/network.

The problem is that every time a make a change to any network related configuration (I'm still experimenting), turning wireless on/off etc, the DNS setting gets wiped out in the network config file.

Is this a regression? I found some old posts where this issue was raised in 2009 and Eric was going to add this option http://gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewto ... &t=48#p151, and another request from 2010 viewtopic.php?f=6&t=585#p2892, but nothing really since.

Am I missing something? I'd like to not lose the setting every time I make a change on the web interface ...

rseiler

Re: Static WAN IP - no DNS setting

Post by rseiler »

Just noticed this in 1.9.1, too. Had me going for a while before I realized, "Oh, no DNS." I first noticed something was wrong when the router's date/time wouldn't update.

Good to know that it can get wiped out. I'll keep an eye on it.