custom compiling gargoyle firmware

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mohdforever

custom compiling gargoyle firmware

Post by mohdforever »

Good day all,

I'm very very very new to third party firmware "WRT" .

also, I'm not expert in linux as well . but I have little experiance in how to deal with ssh connection and terminal side. "basics"

here we go...

I have a TP-Link router with its orginal firmware and it was running well with limitation of features. so, I decided to upgrade it to a third party firmware.

so, I download a proper version of Gargoyle to my router wich is MR3420 v1

unfortunately, my new firmware lake of 3G dongle drivers which it was healthy with stock firmware of TP-Link.

so, after googling here and there .... I found a lot of recommendations to do a custom firmware with USB drivers and so.

unfortunately, the wiki page of gargoyle how to do compiling is difficult to such non-expert guy to do it.

hopfully you may help me to go with some instruction.

and to be clear ...

My environment is ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 64x
so I downloded the git application with

"# sudo apt-get install build-essential asciidoc binutils bzip2 gawk gettext git libncurses5-dev libz-dev patch unzip zlib1g-dev lib32gcc1 libc6-dev-i386 subversion flex uglifyjs git-core gcc-multilib p7zip p7zip-full msmtp
"

as per wiki page

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... umentation

after that I do
# git clone git://gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle.git
# cd gargoyle

# make

the compiler running for more than 12 hours on my machine with no BIN image to flash

after that I do

# make custom

with poooooooooor configuration because i don't know what to include and what to exclude ... the output BIN file is 150 KB only ^_^

so, I didn't even try to flash it to my router.

so what I need is

gargoyle image with 3G dongle drivers + orginal/essintial configuration + orginal Gargoyle GUI and configuration.

my target is ar71xx >>>>> according to the profile info >>> my router is under ar71xx

pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaase pleeease pleeeease help me

thank you in advance

Lantis

Re: custom compiling gargoyle firmware

Post by Lantis »

do a
make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx

it can and does take a LONG time. especially the first time around.
Your device only has 4mb of flash yes?
realistically you're probably not going to be able to fit USB support into it in the way that gargoyle handles it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mohdforever

Post by mohdforever »

Lantis wrote:do a
make FULL_BUILD=true ar71xx

it can and does take a LONG time. especially the first time around.
Your device only has 4mb of flash yes?
realistically you're probably not going to be able to fit USB support into it in the way that gargoyle handles it.

yes, it is 4MB of flash.

and you're right I probably not able to use a USB 3G dongle unless I exclude some packages from my custom firmware.

for example : exclude some language packages not needed or DMZ service

or any thing else not very important for small home uses

^_* :D

thanks again for your reply

and I hope see some guides of configuration

any suggestion ????

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Those kinds of guides are more openwrt based. You'd be better searching there.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mohdforever

Post by mohdforever »

Lantis wrote:Those kinds of guides are more openwrt based. You'd be better searching there.

thanks a lot

one more question .... ^_^

if I flash a firmware larger than 4MB in size .. what could happen to the process ??

I mean .. it will brick the router at all ?? or what

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

At best, it'll fail gracefully e.g. "Image is too big, stopping".
At worst, it'll brick.

poppyfields

Post by poppyfields »

Not sure what 3g modem you are using but you have 2 other options. You could use openwrt images from "Of modems and Men", which are designed with the view of getting mobile broadband working. There are no dongles that I could not get to work with their images. However they lack the great data usage monitoring and restrictions of gargoyle.
You could also try the gargoyle images of eko (see the topic on hi link modems), which have some extra usb functions and got my 4G dongle working.

mohdforever

Post by mohdforever »

poppyfields wrote:Not sure what 3g modem you are using but you have 2 other options. You could use openwrt images from "Of modems and Men", which are designed with the view of getting mobile broadband working. There are no dongles that I could not get to work with their images. However they lack the great data usage monitoring and restrictions of gargoyle.
You could also try the gargoyle images of eko (see the topic on hi link modems), which have some extra usb functions and got my 4G dongle working.

Thank a looooooooooooot for your help

Actualy, I'll try openwrt first then i'll go through the other opthens

Thank you again