Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

marcb

Re: Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Post by marcb »

Lantis wrote:I had a look at it.
It is Ramips which we already support (good), but it is a new profile (MT7621) which we don't have (bad).

It would be better if someone who has already compiled and tested one could send me the .config to check and use.
Until then i'd prefer to leave it.
It seems user @nieko_nera flashed it sucessfully. Maybe he could send you the file.

nieko_nera

Post by nieko_nera »

It is Ramips which we already support (good), but it is a new profile (MT7621) which we don't have (bad).

It would be better if someone who has already compiled and tested one could send me the .config to check and use.
i fallowed this post viewtopic.php?p=50244#p50244 to compile firmware for Xiaomi Router 3G viewtopic.php?p=50582#p50582
here is configuration https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/3bJHsr6kvj/
i am using this router as Access point for 5ghz wifi

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ll look at it, but I’d prefer the file in it’s original format. This one appears sorted/processed
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

marcb

Post by marcb »

Lantis wrote:I’ll look at it, but I’d prefer the file in it’s original format. This one appears sorted/processed
Hi Lantis

Can you let us know how this is going? Can we expect the 1.11 firmware to be out for this device?

Thanks!

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

marcb wrote:
Lantis wrote:I’ll look at it, but I’d prefer the file in it’s original format. This one appears sorted/processed
Hi Lantis

Can you let us know how this is going? Can we expect the 1.11 firmware to be out for this device?

Thanks!
Nobody knows

Its ready when it ready

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No one got back to me with an un-altered config file, so I have not looked.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

top_s

Post by top_s »

Lantis wrote:No one got back to me with an un-altered config file, so I have not looked.
@Lantis, everyone

I have great interest on MT7621 routers (specially that Xiaomi device) considering its reasonably cheap.

My scenario is:

From 2019 and on, I`ll have a 100/100 link.
My old WDR4300 can't keep up these kind of speeds. It`ll top at about 65mbps with QOS.

What I want:
- GBit switch;
- BWmon;
- QOS with good RTT while ACC and MinRTT on and link limit at about 85-90mbps.

It seems that what I need is about 128mb of RAM and a LOT of horsepower on CPU.

The easy way would be buying an Archer c7 or some MVebu, but it is prohibitly expensive in Brazil. BRL 450,00 for the archer; BRL 1.800,00 for a WRT1900AC.

I can buy a Xiaomi Mi Router 3g (or 4) for about BRL 150,00 from Gearbest, so that seems the way to go.

I can buy one of these routers and provide any information needed. I can see this topic has some directions, but i'll definetly need some babysitting in the process.

Questions:
1- Considering the MiRouter3G has a dual core 880mhz processor, do you guys think it might have the horsepower I need?
2- Do you believe I'll find the help I need here?
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’m happy to help you get started with firmware building. It isn’t difficult, but it requires a little bit of know how. Particularly when it doesn’t work.

I think those devices are good because they are cheap, but I’m not sure on their performance.
The dual core is good, but the per core speed could be better. Something to remember is that most tasks in the router are only single core enabled, so they benefit from raw core speed rather than multiple cores.

All routing/wifi/Qos/bwmon run on a single core.
The router should do a bit of smarts and split them up so all 4 aren’t on a single core.
But this does mean that for any one task, you are still limited by the single core performance.
Hope that makes sense.

top_s

Post by top_s »

Lantis wrote: I’m happy to help you get started with firmware building. It isn’t difficult, but it requires a little bit of know how. Particularly when it doesn’t work.

I think those devices are good because they are cheap, but I’m not sure on their performance.
Great! Will do some further research on the model specifics (if MIR3G or MIR4) and buy it. Should arrive in about 3 weeks.
In the meanwhile, would https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/start be a good start?

As of performance, I guess there`s only one way to find out :twisted:
Lantis wrote: Hope that makes sense.
All understood. Thanks a lot!
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yep start there just for an overview, and then follow up with this which is Gargoyle specific
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... umentation

You’ll want to build from our development branch at this point, not master.