Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ki999ki999

Re: Successfully flashed a router? Tell Us!

Post by ki999ki999 »

Another success, TP-LINK WR-740N V4, with Gargoyle 1.6.1. Great firmware, thank you.
2x TP-LINK WA730RE V2 = Bricked; 1x WA730RE V2 = Gargoyle 1.6.1
1x LINKSYS WRT54GL = Gargoyle 1.4.7
1x TP-LINK WA701ND V2 = Bricked; 1x WA701ND V2 = Gargoyle 1.6.1
1x TP-LINK WR740N V4 = Gargoyle 1.6.1

MichaelHMartel

Post by MichaelHMartel »

Greetings!

I just installed Gargoyle 1.6.20-ar71xx on two routers. A Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H and A NETGEAR WNDR3700v1 . No real surprises and everything is working like a charm.

I've got a few little things to iron out because I haven't read all the forums yet, but they're working fine, so no rush. :-)

Thanks to all who have contributed to Gargoyle!

Michael

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

Just registered to say thanks, and to relate the successful flash of my TP-Link TL-WR1043-ND V 1.0.

I am no stranger to 3rd party Custom router firmware, (DD-WRT on a Linksys wrt54g, and Padavan's firmware upgrade for the Belkin 750...) but have held off for a couple years on flashing the Tp-Link...I think I had seen more possible bricked router, and re-flash back to stock issues/concerns with this firmware. And it scared me a little.

I had put up with the poor WIFI, and dropped connections for long enough. I was sick of constantly rebooting the Modem and router to establish a connection. With approximately 20 devices connected at any given time, and my wife relying on the internet for her work-from-home job...it was becoming entirely too cumbersome.

At this writing, I have been up and running with Gargoyle 1.62/stable for 4 days solid. I have not had a wireless device disconnect yet! The web GUI is a bit sparse on the features, but everything is there, and works great. Documentation is also a bit wanting, (for setup) but I assume that is what the forum is for. Great Job, and kudos to all involved! Thank You gentlemen, and or, ladies...

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

kevin g. wrote:Just registered to say thanks, and to relate the successful flash of my TP-Link TL-WR1043-ND V 1.0.

I am no stranger to 3rd party Custom router firmware, (DD-WRT on a Linksys wrt54g, and Padavan's firmware upgrade for the Belkin 750...) but have held off for a couple years on flashing the Tp-Link...I think I had seen more possible bricked router, and re-flash back to stock issues/concerns with this firmware. And it scared me a little.

I had put up with the poor WIFI, and dropped connections for long enough. I was sick of constantly rebooting the Modem and router to establish a connection. With approximately 20 devices connected at any given time, and my wife relying on the internet for her work-from-home job...it was becoming entirely too cumbersome.

At this writing, I have been up and running with Gargoyle 1.62/stable for 4 days solid. I have not had a wireless device disconnect yet! The web GUI is a bit sparse on the features, but everything is there, and works great. Documentation is also a bit wanting, (for setup) but I assume that is what the forum is for. Great Job, and kudos to all involved! Thank You gentlemen, and or, ladies...
its a wiki so you are more than welcome add you new found knowledge.

sbs

Post by sbs »

Hi,

Installed gargoyle 1.7.0 on a TP-WR841N V9.2. Installed as a breeze. No problem.

V8 (last available stavle version) would not be installed by the factory firmware.

wallacefung

Post by wallacefung »

I bricked my TP-Link TL1043ND when I updated DD-WRT.
So I tried to recovery my router with TTL cable.
While I was looking for the command, I found most tutorial teaching how to flash to OpenWRT. I remember someone told me Gargoyle is a variant from OpenWRT, so I flashed Gargoyle firmware image directly and I did it successfully. I was very happy when I log in to Gargoyle at the first time.

Moreover, after I setup wireless in AP+ WDS, I can access another WDS AP with DD-WRT. I really appreciate the compatibility of Gargoyle. I hope more developers can support this project. :D
TP-Link 1043ND v1.4

gary1304

Post by gary1304 »

TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 to Gargoyle Version:1.6.2

lflier

Successfully flashed WRT160NL

Post by lflier »

After discovering the Gargoyle site, I checked the recommended hardware page bought a used WRT160NL on eBay for $39. I downloaded the firmware and managed to flash the router with Gargoyle 1.6.2 using the firmware update feature in the original Linksys browser configuration utility.

For anyone who hasn't done this yet, the process is just like updating the firmware on the router. But make sure you get the right bin file. If you're starting from a factory configured router (i.e., with the Linksys firmware still installed) you need the ..."wrt160nl-squashfs-factory.bin". Connect to the router (preferably through a physical cable), navigate to the firmware update page, select the update file, and go.

The experience was a little rocky and I wasn't quite prepared for what I was seeing:

(1) About 3/4 of the way into the progress bar on the update, I got a full screen notification saying that the update had failed.
(2) I tried a second time and got the same screen.
(3) I then attempted to browse around the Linksys configuration utility but most of the links weren't working. The ones that were working were ones I had visited so I figured it was the browser cache.
(4) Refreshed the browser multiple times (didn't try flushing the cache, though).
(5) Found a "Factory Reset" button in the Linksys configuration utility. Pushed it and, lo and behold, Gargoyle appeared.

I'm not sure what happened. Maybe the router required a reboot for Gargoyle to start working. I was afraid I had bricked it.

Configuration was pretty straightforward, except that it required a router reboot to get the quotas, restrictions, and graphs working.

I'd like to thank the people who make this firmware possible. I've been looking for years for a straightforward way to set usage quotas for my kids. This appears to be it. :D

aR3alCoo1Kat

Post by aR3alCoo1Kat »

Netgear WNDR3700 Version 4
Gargoyle Version: 1.7.0

I bought this router on eBay and the 5Ghz was not working. It had the first firmware release and I upgraded it to the current one. However, it did not fix the 5Ghz issue. I flashed this and it fixed the 5Ghz issue. Now I have a working dual-band router :D I will report any issues I run into.
Netgear WNDR3700: Version 4
Gargoyle Version: 1.9.X build Dec 25-2015

juzis28

Post by juzis28 »

Today i noticed gargoyle for wr703n ver 1 is available in download area. :)
Used stable (build 1.6).
Initially i was using openwrt on my wr703n ver1.5, so i have choosen sysupgrade file. Used web interface and got gargoyle installed! Thanks!

p.s. updated to v1.7.0, seem to work as expected. Using as client bridge repeater.