I screwed up. No valid IP configuration.

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Mkilbride

I screwed up. No valid IP configuration.

Post by Mkilbride »

So I installed the Firmware on my router after alot of suggestions to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YL ... PDKIKX0DER

V2.

It installed, and booted, and did infact work fine. But then I tried to give myself a static IP Address, so I could automatically forward ports, ect, didn't wanna have to deal with that bull. So I managed to set a Static IP address on Windows, but the router kept saying it was Dynamic. I then changed the drop down box to static and entered my information, hit save and...nothing. No Internet.

I reset the modem, router, restarted PC, disabled and enabled adapter. Removed my static IP settings. Nada. After like 30 minutes of getting nowhere, trying everything I removed the router and directly connected to my modem, successfully. Internet back, valid IP all that. So I waited like a day and I've tried again and the same results...I tried it all over again, including hitting the reset button on the Router. It detects it, I can't visit the page though, if I try to use the Windows fixer it just keeps resetting the adapter, it says the issue is no valid IP configuration.

What can I do here? I disabled the adapter, re-enabled, unplugged modem for 30-60s, shut down PC, router, ect, re-plugged them back in and booted up and nothing.

Did I just destroy my router?

Lantis

Re: I screwed up. No valid IP configuration.

Post by Lantis »

what drop down box did you set to static? On the connection configuration page?

What kind of Internet access does your modem provide? Is it ADSL?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mkilbride

Post by Mkilbride »

It's a Cable modem. SB6141. And it was on the IP address page, I tried to make it static, I changed it from dynamic and then entered my IP info.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

i may be misunderstanding you. but i think you've done something wrong here.

You want to set a static IP in windows in the 192.168.1.x range (anything but 1) so that you can connect to the router and enable dhcp.
Once DHCP is enabled you can remove your static IP through windows and any device on your network will be ok to connect to the router itself.

It sounds like you are also trying to set a static IP for your internet connection? is this correct? I can't assist there, that kind of configuration depends on your modem and your internet connection. typically the modem is put into bridge mode, and the gargoyle router authenticates the PPPoE for it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mkilbride

Post by Mkilbride »

Yes, I attempted to change the IP on the router from Dynamic to STatic. After doing that, I can no longer access the router / no internet connection with it plugged in.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

probably time to start again. follow the openwrt procedure for a failsafe reboot and then a firstboot

Mkilbride

Post by Mkilbride »

Can you link that?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Mkilbride

Post by Mkilbride »

Thanks, I got it fixed. That guide ended up not working, but randomly I was able to connect to my router when I didn't boot into failsafe mode and managed to reset everything.

Mkilbride

Post by Mkilbride »

Posting again just because I am having an odd issue...

My IP is being detected as in IL. I live in NH. When I do Speedtest / Pingtest / anything, it says I am in IL. Can't think of what feature would do this.