Gargoyle on D-Link DIR-300

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Domino_55

Gargoyle on D-Link DIR-300

Post by Domino_55 »

Dear Eric,

Firstly, sorry for my english.

So, I'm successfully flashed the unique Gargoyle to my DIR-300. I use in wireless client+AP mode, a.k.a universal repeater. I'm happy, that this firmware is supported this mode! :) That's working very good, but i have some remarks:

1., If I set the static IP configuration to the client and client+AP modes, the internet can't accessible. In the DHCP configuration working OK.

2., In client mode, the WPA-PSK2 cipher not implemented to the GUI.

3., If I modify the Device Name, the input box is going empty, but the new device name has been set up.

4., And please implement the starting script feature.

5., Instead of WLAN led, the Status LED blinking on wireless transmission.

I'm again congratulations for this great initiative, and I'm waiting the next builds. (and please correct the above problems)

Thanks!

Best regards from Hungary!

FRiC

Re: Gargoyle on D-Link DIR-300

Post by FRiC »

For static IP, the GUI is missing a gateway option. You need to edit /etc/config/network and put in option 'gateway' in the wan section.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'm glad you're finding Gargoyle useful, and thanks for reporting your success with the DIR-300. I can now add another router to those I know work with Gargoyle.

Be aware, however, that Client+AP isn't quite the same thing as a universal repeater. While the client+AP does expand the range, like a repeater, it's a routed client mode, not a bridge. That means that while all hosts can still connect to the internet, the ones in front of the second router can't ping or initiate a connection to the ones behind the second router.

As for the bugs you report:

1) I already knew about the problem (the need for a gateway opiton) with the static WAN configuration. This will definitely be fixed in the next release

2) The reason WPA-PSK2 isn't implemented here is that while the option was available in openwrt Kamikaze 7.09, it didn't work. It works with the latest 8.09 release, so I can easily fix this for the next release.

3) This one was really easy to fix. I've already fixed this in the SVN repository and will be in the next release too.

4) What do you want to do with the startup script? I'd rather try to anticipate what functionality is commonly desired and incorporate that directly into the GUI than have a startup script editor in the GUI.

5) Since I don't own a DIR-300 this is going to be really hard to fix, but it seems like a fairly minor, low-priority bug anyway.

Thanks for reporting these issues! It's really helpful to know what's not working, so I can fix it.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Issues 1-3 on this list have now been addressed.

The new, experimental build for broadcom can be downloaded here, and you can find the new squashfs/kernel files for atheros here and here.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Hi Domino_55

Can you post instructions on how to install Gargoyle on a D-link Dir-300

I thought it was going to be easy :(

I think its the memory allocation that i'm having trouble with?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I should have time to update & recompile fon-flash to handle the "DD-WRT>" prompt tonight. Provided that's the only difference between what's on there and standard Redboot that should solve your fon-flash issue.

If you still have trouble or want to install manually could you be more clear what error you are seeing? I may be able to help (if you can be a bit patient since the board has been swamped this week, so I've been slow replying to everyone).

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

No problem

I know open source developers get swamped thats why i was trying to get some information from Domino_55

Thanks

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Updated FonFlash uploaded. See if that fixes your problem.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

On a windows XP machine
fon flash.png
fon flash.png (45.09 KiB) Viewed 29283 times
I'll do some more tests

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Error on my windows 2000 machine with c++ installed
fon flash.jpg