wndr3700 does not get WAN IP

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

cirial

Re: wndr3700 does not get WAN IP

Post by cirial »

Same problem here on my wndr3700 v1.

This is with a Comcast cable modem. It's been reset to defaults, unplugged for hours and still no luck. DDWRT also does the same thing. No issues with WAN port on stock firmware. When I put the router into recovery mode by holding the reset for 30+ seconds (I'm not sure gargoyle has this feature but ddwrt does..) the wan and modem communicate without issues.

There's GOT to be something wrong with the way openwrt and ddwrt have this router configuring the WAN port.

No amount of messing with the settings help.

Hope someone looks into this. I would LOVE to be rocking gargoyle on this router. Thanks!!

Lingula

Post by Lingula »

There are people on the forum running Gargoyle on the 3700 and 3800 without problems. Have you checked to see what builds they're using?

There's still a small list of simple troubleshooting things to try if the above doesn't work, such as patch vs crossover cable, or checking if WAN port assignment is correctly to the WAN port rather than a LAN port.

nirajshah7

Post by nirajshah7 »

I have checked with both cables and same result. How can i check if wan port is assigned correctly?

Also.. I have checked with openwrt and dd-wrt and both don't work.. surprisingly it works if I put in switch between modem and router... there are couple of guys on dd-wrt forum who are also not able to get this working on wndr3700...

Lingula

Post by Lingula »

I'm still curious about which build others have successfully used.

Checking wich port is assigned to WAN can be done by trying to plug the modem into each LAN port and the WAN port. It's not likely to be the problem, but it's easy to check.

Another old solution is http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =11&t=2984

If none of that works then we're way beyond my depth.

Good luck.

nirajshah7

Post by nirajshah7 »

installed ethtool.. going to try this command tonite unless someone has other suggestion of setting link speed..

# ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 autoneg off

cirial

Post by cirial »

Is gargoyle 1.5.9 using latest trunk build? This is the one I tried.

I'm back on stock now

Nirajshah7, please let us know how it goes! Thanks man

Flak

Post by Flak »

It seems there is a broadcast flag that is expected sometimes when you are using a docsis 3 modem. I notice stock OpenWRT and DD-WRT both have options to turn that broadcast on. I don't see the option in Gargoyle, whenever I have the problem with WAN not connecting I use a laptop, clone Gargoyle's mac. Use the laptop to get a connection, then plug the modem into the router and restart the router......

And yes, all my modems are Docsis 3.0 on Charter as the ISP.